We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Package vs. DIY

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Package vs. DIY

Hi Folks,

Am tempted to get charter flights and hotel seperately in order to have more control over where we stay (plus we may save a few pennies).

2 questions:

On a Thomson flight booked through a 3rd party are the meals included? Or we will get the option to purchase them on board at a special price?

How easy is it to get a taxi from the airport to Candolim, how much is this likely to cost?

Cheers,

J

aldershot u.k
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Package vs. DIY

If I was going to europe then I have no problem organising flights and hotel seperately but Being so far away I do like the security of a company behind me. When it goes ok it is fine, but when it goes wrong it could be and is a nightmare. The Thomson Rep was absolutely fantastic when my husband was in hospital. After the initial contact with my insurance company he took over and faxed all the relevant paperwork for me. He visited several times at the hospital and when I was at the hotel he found me there. We did not take Thomsons insurance we were with lloyds.

If you find your Thomson holiday cheaper elseware Go into there shop with a printout and they will match it.

Transfers are included in the price it is up to you whether you use them.

I don't know about meals but if you do a dummy run through there booking online you will see. (We have upgraded so meals are included).

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
263 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Package vs. DIY

i tend to agree with the other poster. the two times i've been to goa before, i did everything myself, for the next trip in march booked a package because quite frankly it was easier.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,428 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Package vs. DIY

We've booked charter flights and hotels separately on our last 2 trips and apart from having to get your own taxi from the airport (which is much quicker anyway) it's hardly any different to a package. Obviously you won't have a rep but there is an emergency number you can ring if necessary. My only problem last year with all the snow was not being sure if the flight would leave on time but I got a friend in the UK to text me when it had left Manchester so that problem was solved. When you book your flight it should tell you if meals are included or not though I think you will probably have to pay extra for them on top of the basic flight cost.

It's really easy to get a taxi from the airport, just go to the pre-paid booth and they'll sort it for you. Katie P posted on here the other day how much the taxi fare to Candolim cost her, I think it was 675 rp but if you do a search you should be able to find her post.

essex
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Package vs. DIY

Hi, We always book a package for Goa - usually with Thomsons. I also like the reps to be available, and I understand that during the Ash episode Thomson reps were very good. I can confirm that if you book a package with Thomsons the inflight meals are included -not sure about flight only. Just because you book a package it doesn't mean that you have to stay at the hotel for the entire holiday, you can spend nights away at beach huts or even other hotels/guesthouses in areas that you want to explore. lxx

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Package vs. DIY

Hi,

Our last two visits we went diy, booked our flights with Thomson its called the Goa traveller, it gives you flight and one nights accomodation but most people dont use it. flight meal is all in, we go on 30th nov and mar 2011 and this time we have booked package due to the price being cheaper.

have a great hol

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Package vs. DIY

Earlier this year I was stuck (???) in Goa for an extra week by the Icelandic ash cloud. My package company was brilliant in sorting out meals and accomodation. Those who had freelanced over their stay were stuck without any help, mostly kicked out of their hotel, and having to arrange their own flights back.

Having said that, if you can have the patience to travel on a DIY basis, it will often work out cheaper.

Book meals throught the Thompson website, and read the million otjher threads here on taxis.

london
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Package vs. DIY

Personally, I'd never book package again.

I'd be over the moon if we had to stay for extra long because of an Ash cloud. If I had to find alternative, reasonably priced accomodation as a result I'm sure I'd be able to do this without somebody holding my hand. I am able to book an alternative flight without help.

I always save the telephone number of a local doctor to my phone. When I've called a doctor in the past in Goa, they are there in seconds and charge only a few pounds.

My travel insurance would cover any real disasters.

Our 3½ week holiday over CHRISTMAS for three people cost £501 each for flights & apartment rental. No contest. Why pay a middle man?

8. Re: Package vs. DIY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 November 2010, 13:05
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Package vs. DIY

So there are no drunk holidaymakers south of the Mersey????

manchester
Level Contributor
845 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Package vs. DIY

Hmmm noticed Manchester people not included in the drunks list!!

personally its a matter of choice package v diy. I am staying in an apartment for the first time and we booked flights seperately at £546 in march add that to the shared cost of apartment £150 per person for two weeks makes the total cost of £696 pp I am sure you can get cheaper by package but it suits us fine. I have done the all inclusive and frankly it was time for a change.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations