We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I take rupees into Goa

leeds, england
Level Contributor
526 posts
100 reviews
Can I take rupees into Goa

Hi,

Got married on Saturday and were given 8,600 rupees as a wedding gift. Am panicking as I've been told we can't take them into the country. Does anyone have any advice on this please?????

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

The Indian Rupee is a closed currency. You cannot legally take it into the country; however, the worst that will happen is that it will be taken off you. I often have a little bit left over at the end of a holiday and take it back the next time. I have not heard personally of anyone being stopped, but it must happen sometimes.

By the way, congratulations on your very recent marriage!

2. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 January 2011, 00:35
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

Well as you've got it, I would just share it between you and your partner, I have taken Rupees into Goa before, when I've had any left from my last trip.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

Jester, surely you didn't bring any back with you? Or are you planning another trip lol?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

If Jester has any left over.. I'll have them, as Jester wont be needing them..lol

uk
Level Contributor
97 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

shares on......lol

or have you had a change of heart ?

London
Level Contributor
596 posts
1 review
7. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

The basic answer is yes. Most regular Goa visitors will take some rupees out with them so that when they return they have enough for a taxi at the airport. The Indians are ambivalent about all this, as although you cant take rupees out according to the law, the snack shops in their own air side departure lounge accept rupees.

You would only be at risk if there is a several trillion to one chance of being searched on the way in.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
97 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

No you deffo can't take it,send it to me immediately!

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
9. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

Yes you can take currency into the country - you just cannot take it out.

I bought some at an exchange place before I went. I did ask the guy who served me how they got it as I wasn't sure about taking currency in and he just said they buy it at bank of India and you can take rupees in. It's handy for cab when you land and first couple of days cash..

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Can I take rupees into Goa

Hi,

You cannot take Indian Rupees into the country, not legally, no matter what the currency sellers tell you. Anything that you take in runs the risk of being confiscated at the airport. Indian Rupee is a closed currency. You cannot take a closed currency in or out of the country.

Refer to Article 6.

http://www.cbec.gov.in/travellers.htm

This from the Indian Customs website.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations