We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

upset stomach

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Staffs
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
upset stomach

If anyone has recently returned fro Candolim having had sickness and the runs, I would be interested in the following....Did you eat chicken or eggs?. Did you have ice in your drinks ? Where did you eat your last meal or drink ect ? I have been to Candolim for 20 years and have never been ill { apart from the mild upset } but so many people were ill this year. Was it the food or maybe a virus. The guest house manager where I stayed was also ill, but would ,nt admit to it, but I heard him being ill. Did you visit the hospital, if so, what drugs were you given....PS apart from that I had a great holiday .

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: upset stomach

More importantly, where did these people eat who became ill. We can then avoid these places

kent
Level Contributor
313 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: upset stomach

Oh yes I had Delhi belly and ghandi's guts all rolled into 1 think it may have been the prawn masala but it was nice at the time we came back from Candolim on the 24th Jan.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: upset stomach

Sorry to hear you were ill but glad you still enjoyed your holiday.

We too were ill this time and like you, first time in all the years we have been going to Goa and in the almost 20 years we have backpacked around India that we have ever gotten ill like that. Of course we have previously had the odd dodgy tummy but never been ill. I started feeling poorly late afternoon, couldn’t face dinner that evening although hubbie did but said he didn’t feel right. We then spent the evening and all night fighting over the bathroom, violently ill!!! Hubbie’s only lasted 24 hours but I felt off colour for about 3 days which was a bit of a shame.

Pretty sure ours wasn’t a bug, we got ours from a shack – Sea Breeze in Candolim – having had prawn curry and rice at lunchtime. Prawn Curry has been a favourite of ours for years and although I couldn’t face the thought of it for the remainder of my holiday in Goa this time I am sure I’ll be having more next visit – although not at the Sea Breeze!

We always have ice in our drinks and always eat at the shacks.

It wasn’t a pleasant experience but once in 20 years isn’t going to put us off in the future.

St.Annes, Lancashire
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: upset stomach

Hi, there was a similar post recently, which I have bumped up for you.

india
Level Contributor
168 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: upset stomach

I was told some years ago, that it was not the protein that caused the problem but the rice. Apparently, there is a bacterium that occurs if rice is cooked but not cooled appropriately and then re-heated. From that day, I have avoided rice and favoured rotis. Not a stomach cramp since.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
60 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: upset stomach

We flew back last week and for the second week of our holiday my husband was very ill with sickness and runs, It started after a day of fishing where we were drinking from the bottles on the boat, had a hawaiian chicken salad (containing egg) at Inferno on the beach road and a cornetto from sandras shop on the road down to the highland when we were on our way back to room we had also visited hospital and were given Alprozolam, he is still poorly now with runs and immodium just isnt touching it he had doctors on monday so we should have some more info then.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: upset stomach

Just arrived back and yes we had bad stomach ect , infact a lot in hotel did some had to call doctor, think it was quite common as lots of people where ill and not only in our hotel.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: upset stomach

Are you sure you did not bring it with you or catch it in the airport or on the flight as it is a big probelm in the UK dailymail.co.uk/health/article-98829/Beat-vo… and it not normally a major problem here

Edited: 12 February 2011, 08:25
Bournemouth
Level Contributor
556 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: upset stomach

we returned a week ago and a few people had upset stomachs but what amazed me was that people were saying they had had bad stomachs for several days but they still continued to use the pool i was under the impression that you should not use the pool if you have a bad stomach as that is the quickest way to spread germs

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,475 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: upset stomach

Just found this

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1336198/Norov…

Think you need to look a lot closer to home than Candolim and this is the second year the UK has had a major outbreak

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations