We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to Know

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Need to Know

Hi,

Going to Goa in November and a bit worried about some of the reports I`ve heard. Most people rave about the place but others say its not what they expected such airport problems, being consistently bothered by locals for money, rubbish on beaches, montezumas revenge, poor service. Can anybody put my mind at rest.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to Know

All I can say is the positives totally outweight any negative aspects of the place that's why I'll be returning again next Feb. A firm NO THANK YOU gets rid of sellers on the beach, the food is superb and its cheap along with the drinks. In 6 trips there I have only ever has a bad stomach that lasted for one day. Sure there can be rubbish knocking around but you have to rise above all this. If you do all your research on here, ask all the questions you need answers to, get recommendations for restaurants, beach shacks and trips near to your chosen hotel you will hit the ground running and have the time of your life AND you will want to return. If it was as bad as some people say I wouldn't be going back with my 6 year old daughter!

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to Know

I honestly think that this is the wrong forum to ask such questions because I don't think the answers will be, shall we say, not the whole truth. Not saying that yours aren't STALEX but they are your opinions.

This really is the I love Goa forum and in the past when people have said they don't like it there has been pages of posts saying they were wrong. People who do not like Goa or anywhere else for that matter would not be on the forum.

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to Know

There are things that I definately don't like about Goa too and you are right Jeera that these are all personal opinions. The only way to find out whether or not its the place for you is to try it but If I was doubtful whether or not I would like it then I probably wouldn't go to avoid a huge waste of money.

moray
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to Know

I agree with STALEX do plenty research before you go so you know what to expect.I went 1st time last year with daughter & grandkids (their2ndtime) and loved it straight away, taking in all the scenery from the bus from the airport. The holiday is what you make it, but all the sights, colours & the lovely,friendly people made it for me.We are booked to go back in Nov to Baga. You will never really know if you will like it unless you try it . So if you want something different, this is it.

London
Level Contributor
301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to Know

We booked our first trip to Goa on a bit of a whim - looking for somewhere new to visit. From that moment on, I was almost dreading it, wondering what on earth I had let us in for. If I could have swapped flight tickets at the airport, I would have done. That was in November 2008 and we have been 6 times now!! We go to the south (I see you are going to Candolim) and we absolutely love it - there's no place quite like it. The people are lovely, the food is the best ever and not at all expensive, the sun shines - what more could you want!! We normally just chill, but there is lots to see and do if you want. It can be a little bit of a culture shock when you first arrive, but hopefully it won't take long to settle in.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,821 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to Know

Milopilo1 - you have to bear in mind that Goa is part of India, which is a developing country. That may help to put some of your concerns into perspective. Yes, there are queues and endless stamping of documents at the airport, you will probably come across beggars and beach sellers, yes there are piles of rubbish everywhere, who knows whether you'll succumb to Delhi Belly or not, and service is good in some places, pretty poor in others. So in most of those respects, it's not that different from most other places I've been in the world.

I love it, but there are bits of Goa (and India) that I absolutely hate. The endemic corruption, the rubbish, the bureaucracy, the cruelty to animals - all individually are enough to put some people off. However, they are, IMHO, just part of life's rich pattern and are occasionally to be endured. The airport is tedious but it's only a few hours at the beginning and/or end of your holiday, beggars and beach sellers can be a bit of a nuisance, but a polite 'no thanks' usually gets rid of them, rubbish, well, I guess you have to just develop a bit of a blind spot, and make sure you wash your hands, carry sanitising gel with you and use it and just hope you don't get ill. I'm not sure how many times I've been to Goa - 16? 17? - and I was ill this last time for the first time. Service can be a bit slow and frustrating sometimes, but it's generally with a smile and good humour. Mostly it's pretty good in my experience.

I'm not sure that I agree with Jeera 27 that this is a Goalovefest all the time on this forum. Most of us are only too aware of the downsides, but we find that the positives outweigh the negatives most of the time.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to Know

I agree with most of the above posters.....Goa/India does have its problems but after spending ages looking at other destinations around the world, it looks like it will be a forth trip to Goa for me next year.

Why....simply, almost guaranteed two weeks of sunshine, fantastic value for money, most people speak English, food from all over the world is readily available but most of all the friendliness of the locals.

As an individual, I am never going to be able to change Goa/india and so I have to accept what I see....beggars, rubbish, fly tipping all over the place...that's India! The beaches tend to be mostly lean though, especially around the front of the shacks.

I often describe Goa to my friends as a place that touches all the senses, sights, sounds, taste, touch and smells. if there was a sixth sense, it would also appeal to that as well.

Edited: 14 April 2011, 15:38
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to Know

Milopilo, I think there are a lot of good points made here.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need to Know

Milopilo

no single holiday destination is ever going to suit ALL of the people ALL of the time!

And as Jeera points out, a lot of the people who post regularly on here are Goa fans (including me) so you might not get an unbiased answer to your question.

I would NEVER EVER recommend Goa to anyone - not because I don't like it myself but because I couldn't be sure that they would.

So, unfortunately, I don't think anyone can put your mind at rest that all the negative things you mention (and they probably do exist for some people and bother some people) will not spoil your holiday.

How much research did you do before you booked?

Where are you staying?

What type of holiday do you like?

Have you ever been to a 3rd world country before?

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need to Know

we always stay in baga which dosent seem to have the same problem with rubbish there is rubbish but no were near the quantity as in calangute the same can be said for the beggers only see them on the beach and the security employed by the shacks keep a lot of them away most holiday spots have some problems costa del sol fighting and organized pick pockets mexico was drugs gambia had open sewers if you look for something to spoil your holiday you will find it

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations