We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa...Good and the bad?

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Goa...Good and the bad?

Just had a lovely curry at home (home made) and for some reason it reminded me of the fine meals i had in Goa.

Would like to start a debate on what people think is their number 1 favourite thing about Goa and why?

For me it's the food.The best meal i had was a chicken vindaloo in a run down resturant (may have been someone's house) in Panjim. Very little English was spoken but they understood the international language of enjoying a meal.

May as well add what you think is the worst.For me it's corruption.Saw plenty of it and wasn't impressed when i left my blackberry in a taxi and called it within 5 minutes only for him to laugh and hang up. Low life thief.....regret given him a tip now.The corruption part was the policeman at the station who asked me in perfect English to pay him in cash £150 for a translater to fill out a report form which i needed for insurance claim. He seem to undrestand the international language of .....I won't repeat what i said to him.

Feel free to add.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Panjim
Panjim
North Goa District, India
Sugar Shack
Other Food & Drink
Church of Our Lady Of Hope
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
The Cabo Palace
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Calangute, India
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

You totally enjoyed yourself, then?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
847 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

Oh what an interesting thread this could be - well done itsabigworld thinking this one up :0)

Sorry to hear about your BB.

Best thing has to be variety whether that be atmosphere of the Saturday market all hustle bustle or the quietness of the more secluded beaches. I love being able to pick a place to suit my mood. Also the variety of food; you can eat more or less every cuisine imaginable Portugese, Thai, Indian & European to name but a few.

The worst thing I would say is the nightmare of the airport going home but thats probably more to do with the going home and feeling deflated the holiday is over. The queues and the time it takes to move less than 30 feet with the constant passport checking has to be the one thing that irks me above anything else.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

Like, well just about everything, the places, the people, the food, the weather, the disorganisation and above all, Goa itself.

Dislike, I can honestly say that there's nothing I dislike about the place, yes there's things that get on my nerves and there's things that annoy me but, dislike , nah nothing. That's why I return year after year.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
bridlington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

well bindoobaba and dwyall just about says it all ,when people back home ask me why do you keep going back to goa my reply is ,until you go there and try it for yourself you will never know, goa is addictive

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
bridlington
Level Contributor
321 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

well bindoobaba and dwyall just about says it all ,when people back home ask me why do you keep going back to goa my reply is ,until you go there and try it for yourself you will never know, goa is addictive

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,828 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

It would be hard for me to pick one favourite thing though the food is definitely high up there, along with the weather, the shacks, the beaches and the Goan people. Worst thing for me is probably the rubbish.

Sorry to hear about your blackberry but there are dishonest people everywhere and that could have happened to you in many places. I had my bag snatched off my shoulder by 2 men on a motorbike on our first trip to Goa, luckily that's been my only dealing with the police in Goa and the incident didn't put me off returning.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
england
Level Contributor
214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

The best thing the Food the curries are out of this world at the Curry House, the King Fish came second at the Himalayan,

The worst thing well close your eyes......it was three injections in the cheeks of my bum for Delhi Belly.... I have been to India many times but this was the first time I have been ill...but I will be back next year hopefully....

Edited: 10 May 2011, 22:05
Mentioned in this post
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

food is excellent ! too much rubbish around the place , brilliant people and some damn terrible airports , that about sums it up for me :)

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

The bad is the airport. The good is the airport is nowhere near as bad as it used to be!!!!.It used to be a tin hut in the middle of a field, you had to stand forever on the stairs in lines to get out .There was no air conditioning , just a few broken fans, it was as hot as hell. Hardly any seats, and very grubby.

I know the airport is not wonderfull, but i am just gratefull it has improved.

Other than that i have no real complaints Goa is as Goa comes, and i like it.

Mentioned in this post
Goa
Goa
India
LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa...Good and the bad?

Again I can't add to what Bindoobaba says! Spot on. Great comment from Vurda too about the airport.