We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending time in Doha

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Spending time in Doha

Anyone got any info/tips on Doha airport?

If it's anything like Bahrain, I'm aware there will be VERY cheap duty free...which takes care of some of the free time!

We have around two and a half hrs going out and 2 hrs coming back. I will want to stretch legs, buy duty free and have a fag (or 5)... if time after all that, a Costa coffee would be very welcome (I know they have a couple of these scattered around the airport).

What's the experience there like? Do they have smoking areas/rooms for the plebs? (only seen them mentioned for the "special folk" in the lounges). What sort of prices in the duty free?

I'm actually quite looking forward to this break in the journey... not just for the obvious smoke opportunity, but to have a walk and recharge batteries a bit

Viceroy's Arch
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Church of Our Lady Of Hope
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending time in Doha

Hi Imp, the couple of hours at Doha Airport soon passes. Like you we appreciate the time to stretch our legs between flights.There is a smoking room tucked in the corner at the side of the escalator to the departure gates. Drinks are very expensive , £6 for a coffee at the down stairs cafe. Understand it's slightly cheaper upstairs. I was told that if you ask at the Qatar airways desk they'll give you a voucher for refreshments but didn't try it, not enough time. Duty Free didn't seem particularly cheap but it passes a few minutes between cigs..lol

Edited: 04 September 2011, 11:52
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending time in Doha

Oh, so no packs of 200 fags for £7 like in bahrain? That's a pity

I don't think I'll need a coffee badly enough to pay nearly as much as a carton of fags at Bahrain!!!

The 45 minutes refuel stops never felt like long enough... not that you want to lengthen the journey, but with a couple of fags and duty free... we'd be racing back to the gate. a couple of hours sounds like a nice length of time to stretch & take a break.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,399 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending time in Doha

You can down load duty free brochure from Qatar Airways web site Imp, They run the airport duty free too. Think the prices were in it last year.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
962 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending time in Doha

There are a couple of ( very smoky) smoking rooms dotted about one quite close to departure gate steps.

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending time in Doha

A sleeve of cigs was £8 last year. The 21/2hrs will fly by!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending time in Doha

Excellent. £8 will do very nicely. I'll take a look at the brochure... thanks for the tip

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending time in Doha

Just be careful to keep them put of sight at Dabolim Candolim Imp, saw someone get some taken off them one year they were carrying of those 5 carton packs two people with a pack each!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending time in Doha

No, I'm quite happy with the 400 between us both... I've seen folk do that in Bahrain and wondered how they can seem so blasé when carrying 5 times their allowance

Edited: 04 September 2011, 21:18
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
860 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending time in Doha

Hi there, going through Doha ourselves this year for the first time and was curious about smoking for us lepers..lol..glad to hear we can have a fag tho, but wait to buy them till you get to candolim ect...buy there own...they call them WIN very nice and £3.47 for 200..lol

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending time in Doha

I have to admit, I've never tried any local brands (except beedies!!!... I think those were 4p per pack!). I like Superkings, and have bought them in Candolim... but Bahrain was always cheapest for them

Get answers to your questions about Candolim