We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mefloquine tablets

Burnley
Level Contributor
784 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Mefloquine tablets

Hi,

After speaking to some of the 'long termers' last year in Candolim,they recommended taking Mefloquine tablets as they are only once a week.

We bought some to bring home, so we could start them before our next trip to Goa.

However, I have since read terrible reports on the internet about the side effects these can cause.

Has anybody taken these? Would like some advice on whether to use them or just scrap them and buy the Paludrine/Avloclor we used last year.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mefloquine tablets

Hi Twiggy. Mefloquine is Lariam and personally I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole!!!

Edited: 11 September 2011, 18:33
lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mefloquine tablets

try taking it before you go some people have a bad reaction some don't

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mefloquine tablets

"In some people mefloquine can cause psychiatric side effects such as mood or behaviour changes, anxiety, depression, feelings of persecution, crying, aggression, forgetfulness, agitation, confusion or hallucinations. If affected you should stop taking this medicine and consult a doctor immediately. In 75 per cent of cases such side effects appear by the third dose if they are going to affect you".

Doesn't sound like nice stuff does it???!!!

Burnley
Level Contributor
784 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mefloquine tablets

Hi Meerkat20,

yeah, thats the report I read - scared me to death!! But we spoke to loads of people who were out there for the season and taking it and appeared to be ok.

I'll have to decide nearer the time. The duo one gave us both upset stomachs - not while on holiday but for the 4 weeks after coming home.

Might even bite the bullet and pay for Malarone - everyone seems happy with that.

Thanks

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Mefloquine tablets

Hey Twiggy. I have taken Malarone once before - I couldn't take P + C at that particular time so resorted to Malarone and had no problems whatsover with it. If you can't take P + C, I would recommend taking Malarone rather than Lariam. Although expensive, the side effects are miniscule.

UK
Destination Expert
for Varkala
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mefloquine tablets

Larium is not usually recommended for India. I think if visiting many if not most of the African countries then Larium is advised. As Meerkat said not nice stuff to take!

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mefloquine tablets

HI

i have to agree with Meercat larium is scary movies,the recommended for goa is usualy c&p or malarone,also anyone who has suffered any form of depression or related symptoms definately not larium

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mefloquine tablets

From personal experience I can say Lariam is the stuff of nightmares! Enough said.

Burnley
Level Contributor
784 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mefloquine tablets

Thanks everyone,

I think you've just confirmed what I was thinking anyway! The side effects on P&C weren't too bad - just upset stomach. Will decide nearer the time if we can afford Malarone :)

Thanks again!

Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mefloquine tablets

We took Larium when we went on Safari to Kenya. I had no problems with it but it gave my sister a bad headache the day after taking it and she was also sleep-walking on the night she took them. It's like a lot of things, some people react and others don't but I don't think such strong medication is needed for Goa.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations