We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
essex
Level Contributor
158 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

Is it worth our while taking a prescription for varifocal lenses to get new glasses? If so , how near to the Aldeia Santa Rita?

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

in a word yes,and there are quite a few to choose from

Wales
Level Contributor
378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

Definately - have been buying mine in Candolim for many, many years. Take my prescription from here, my optician cannot believe the price we pay. My frames are Chanel (not that I noticed at the time - it was the optician at home which pointed it out to me) he said he could not buy them for what I paid including varifocals. First job when we get there will be new lenses and new prescription sun glasses. I go to Eye Site top of Beach Road, Candolim.

Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,285 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

I always buy my requirements in Goa too. varifocals and sunglasse.

BOB...

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

There are several places you can buy your glasses in the beach road area of Candolim which is about a mile from the ASR and even more in Calangute but expect there are now places in Sinquerim as well

A few years ago I bought a pair of varifocal reactor light prescription glasses from Eyesite for about £115 but have now found that I can buy in Mapusa for about half that but you can also get a high tech service for about the same as Eyesite prices

Villaricos, Spain
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

Welloutofit - where in mapusa?

Or, tell me when I arrive on Friday.

Blues

Island of Anglesey...
Level Contributor
108 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

Just a quick question is this the same for focus daily contact lenses? could you buy them any cheaper?

Fallen on Hard Times
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

Dangui Opticians: Mapusa Tel: 2262470

See a previous link: tripadvisor.co.uk/…9897350

I went there last year and the year before. I paid Rs 150 for an old fashioned (I'm old fashioned too, so it suited me) eye test with a lady doctor named Grace Lobo (consultant ophthalmologist and surgeon. Someone from Dangui took me across the main road to have the test. Dangui said that they would give me a discount equal to the eye test against a pair of reading glasses. I bought two pairs and they gave me the discount against both!

I went for an old fashioned test because I'd been warned that some of the shops in Candolim were staffed by business men, who had no knowledge of real eye testing and only used the computer testing along the lines of Monkey See, Monkey Do..............

The second time I took a pair of UK bought prescription computer reading glasses and they made an exact pair up for me. Good quality lenses & frames and really good value, especially for someone like me whose pockets only open one way - for putting money in, NOT taking it out!

The shop is actually within the market area. I had a bit of difficulty getting my bearings as I asumed that the shop would be outside the market area.

Good Guys too.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

The eye test has gone up to 200Rps and as you say it is the old fashioned type of test but she told me far more about what kind of glasses I needed and why also that I should all ways wear tinted glasses even in the UK and should consider getting a pair of wrap round sunglasses as I spend a lot of time in Goa

My brother in law also had the test and was told he only needed reading glasses and as both eyes were simular the 150Rp ready readers was all he needed unless he wanted posh frames

Dangui Opticians also have a place in Calangute near Johnney the chemist and they do sell contact lenses a lot cheaper than the UK but I do not know if they stock the whole range

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

my hubby got his contacts there too...Dailies..

we get assorted glasses when we go

I have vari ones and bi-focals sunnies and never had any problem scratch coat and that anti glare too.

The only problem is if you damage them here they are not covered and you have to pay for a new pair...I am trying to make it untill we go in December using my old ones as it is cheaper.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are prescription sunglasses available and cheaper?

I buy prescription glasses every year from Bombay Bazaar, Panjim. Sunglasses with designer frames cost 80 pounds last year, they are varifocals. Same price for normal varifocals, although could be cheaper depending on frames you choose. Very pleased with the service from this shop, he'll ever deliver them if you can't get back to Panjim to collect!

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations