We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost of malaria tablets

manchester
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
cost of malaria tablets

i have been pricing up the malaria tablets and was looking at buying malarone as these seem to have the least side effects but they seem very expensive Boots and LLoyds want £75 for 2 week stay between us that is £150 I know it is better that getting malaria but with £10 each for photos, and £42 each for visa's we could haved booked another holiday

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,461 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost of malaria tablets

LOL-- you should have read about all extras (they do add up) before you had booked, it is a lot if ya going for only 2wks! But it will be worth it when ya get there!

Edited: 26 September 2012, 21:57
Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,342 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cost of malaria tablets

You need to look at "Brennans" on line. They charge about £2-15p per tablet. you would need to have one tablet for every day you're there plus 2 before you go and 7 for one week on your return. so for a 2 week holiday you would need 23 tablets. (the 2 before you go are only to see if you are allergic to them).

I use Malorone myself and find them to be the oly ones with no side effects for me, therefore, I reccomend them.

BOB...

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cost of malaria tablets

why not just go into boots buy a minimum amount of chloroquine and proguanil now,take them with a meal and if you feel ok and 99% of people do,they are the most widely used anti malarials in the world,bingo job done you dont need to pay out for Malerone

4. Re: cost of malaria tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2012, 10:35
Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cost of malaria tablets

Here we go..............

Goa, India
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost of malaria tablets

I agere Barking it's posts like these that should be deleted as it's incorrect and dangerous advice.

John

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,826 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cost of malaria tablets

So, anyone else going to correct it again?

The once a week tablets are not enough on their own. You need to take chloroquine and proguanil IN COMBINATION for them to be effective against malaria in Goa. They are NOT effective individually. Check here www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/ for up to date information on what you need.

manchester uk
Level Contributor
110 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cost of malaria tablets

Thanks I will try that

Pocklington
Level Contributor
131 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cost of malaria tablets

We are going through the same exercise - but I'm sure the Travel Nurse at out GP gave us an option for a course of tablets which worked out at around £15 per person (may have been £17). It was a course where you take tablet A every day and Tablet B once per week.

The course started a week before you left and finished 2-weeks after your return. Certainly discussed the "expensive" option(s) - but it's all about prevention.

From my non medical understanding - one treats the blood and protects the liver, whilst the other targets the liver direct.

Never suffered with mosquito bites until last year in Corfu...probably the Metaxa...

To minimise the risk of bites - long trousers and long sleeve shirts after dark! Wear Deet repellant with pride...argh "Eau de Deet" nothing quite like it!

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cost of malaria tablets

Hiya Saint_Bob... This is what your nurse was refering to:

travelpharm.com/index.cfm/malaria/Products.D…

You can buy them over the counter in most chemists as well as from many on-line suppliers, here's the Patient Information Leaflet for them:

travelpharm.com/uploadedfiles/…travelpack.pdf

btw... Unless they have changed it since I last took them you take them for FOUR weeks after returning (this is because if you are bitten it can remain dormant in your system for this period, so you have to keep up the resistance) So for a 2 week trip you woulld need a 7-strip pack.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 13:06
Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations