We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria

bolton
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Topic
malaria

Hi there just been to the chemist to ask about malaria tablets and he advised Paludrine/ Avlaclor but my OH was told malarone ???? wot to do

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria

Take either, I am taking P & A and the wife is taking Malarone.

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria

and me and my partner both take P & A

Edited: 24 January 2013, 12:37
Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
512 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria

dont bother with any......just take good preventative methods...Goa is only low risk. If you want to feel really ill all the time, take the tabs. other wise i wouldnt and dont. at night i cover up with spray, long sleeves etc. dont wear perfume or anything to attract em!! Thats my opinion any way. Ive seen loads of people here feeling queasy, headachy and totally not in the holiday mood because of them. Some people we know here have just missed two days of their holiday as they made them feel so rubbish. Any way thats just my thoughts for you.

Morgs xx

LIVERPOOL
Level Contributor
8,849 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria

I dont suffer any side effects at all but the wife does. Its a personal decision to take them or not.

london
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
9,043 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria

Malarone are usually pretty good for not having any side effect (i know stalex wife can't take them ) we have been taking them for about 15 years on our hols and have never had any problems, did try P& A one year but was very ill with them. only my two pennath. :-)) Gel

Manchester
Level Contributor
168 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: malaria

I dont think Goa is low risk any longer. I have read some place that the risk is med to high depending on the area. I still take them always will. I think its better to be careful. But each to own.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
179 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: malaria

Current advice given by Lloyds and boots is P/A.

Boots are charging £20 for their own brand; Lloyds are charging £15 for the proper brand

suffolk
Level Contributor
47 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: malaria

boots pharmacy recommended paludrine+avlolor ,saw my practice nurse today she said the same,but she also went on her websit and it said south goa was very low risk .hope this helps,last year we went march and didn,t take anything,didn,t get bit at all altho we did cover head to toe in the evenings with 100 pc deet.

Dagenham, ESSEX
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: malaria

Every time this posting arises, you always get conflicting advice. Take them, dont take them, Goa is low risk, Goa is High risk etcetera. If you want to take the advice of well meaning although, poorly informed strangers for your healthcare then feel free to ask away.

However if you want a genuine response it's always best to consult your healthcare professional.

PS coating yourself with marmite works quite well lol

BC

Bishop Auckland...
Level Contributor
536 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: malaria

Do the locals take anything ? Can you buy tablets in Goa ? Baz

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations