We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

manchester
Level Contributor
52 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

Well we gave Goa a miss this year and tried the Caribean. Barbados is a beautiful place and that is about all I can say about it. It is realy quiet and I thought it didn't have any of the vibrance of good old Goa. I tried not to compare and just to enjoy my holiday but to be honest unless you are a real beach holiday person for me Barbados is boring in comparison.

I missed being able to go and have a drink and a chat in the shacks during the day and having a laugh with the shack lads. We enjoyed our holiday but it certainly wasn't memorable and I missed meeting up with old friends in the Spice Garden bar in Candolim. You know who you are!! Maybe see you next year as all hols used up now sadly.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

I know what you mean, going to Goa feels like going home!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

I tried Barbados , few years back , but found it to be relativley expensive, with very limited number of resonably priced restautrants around Lawrence Gap. . Choice of night life also limited slightly. For short two week break, it is fine, but for longer than 2 weeks, prefer Goa due to choice of food, surruondings, people , music, nightlife etc... other than txi fares, everything else is still reasonable prices.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
784 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

completely agree, Barbados is OK but i wouldn't rush back. The food was particularly disappointing and overpriced. maybe my expectations were too high but Goa wins on everything other than the sea.

Vagator, India
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,589 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

Loved Barbados stayed at the gap and hired a car, daughter went horse riding several times a week and we was there for the crop over carnival also had a great time at the horse races and had some very good food at our hotel which included 3 evening meals and a BBQ a week also found some very good restaurants out however there was nearly 2 $ to the pound so was not expensive but we have never found anywhere like Goa

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

Metaxasue how did the Barbadians treat you Russians,(haha)..Sorry to hear it wasnt has good as Goa.

We'd better start saving up if we're to meet up again in 2014..

After going to Goa for so many years and getting used to hustle and bustle/noise i know i wouldnt like Barbados it would be too quite for me and i could'nt do A/I not my thing..But its not for everyone good job we're all different..

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,654 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

Loved Barbados when we stayed in The Gap a few years ago. We took advantage of the happy hours & found some reasonably priced restaurants to eat, plus Ostins fish fry is great value. Still spent a lot more than we do in Goa though & I needed my brolly a few times.

manchester
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

I must admit , I do like the Caribbean, but it pales in comparison to Goa, we went to Jamaica this July and Goa in December, we both agreed that Goa knocks spots off Jamaica.

Coventry, UK
Level Contributor
3,220 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

We have been to Barbados three times, but that was really before we fell for Goa, and I can't see us going back as it's far too expensive now.We have been in both the Gap and Candolim for New Year's Eve, and have to say we preferred the more laid back Goan version. The only thing I miss from Barbados, when we are in Goa, is the Rum Punch!

Edited: 28 January 2013, 08:11
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
328 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

Two completely different places! It’s like comparing Centre Parcs with Butlins! That’s what choice is all about.

Whoever said Barbados was boring has not been to the Friday night Fish Fry party at Oistins or been to Barclays Atlantic beach or an all night Reggae bash on a west coast beach!

Which is better is subjective and down to personal preferences which are, usually, costs!

Bajans and Goans are not so different - they both enjoy good food, music and fun.

We rate Barbados and Goa as two of our best holiday destinations but for different reasons. Wherever you go - Happy Hols. Paymonger.

P.S. One thing is for sure the Goan TA posters are better!

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goa/Candolim verses Barbados

We prefer Barbados for hiring a car and driving around, & wouldn't risk that on the roads in Goa. But the taxis are that cheap there is no need.

Just got back from Cape Point Gambia, we will probably not go again and will re-book Goa next winter.

Regards

NeilAmanda

Get answers to your questions about Candolim