We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

When you book for periods of over 3 weeks and sometimes up to 6 months in Goa, how do you fill your days?? We would love to stay for longer but I don't know what we would do. I love the beach shacks and day trips as much as the next person but I'm sure That daily routine would get boring after a while. Do you get involved with local charity work, schools, churches or temples. Do you own your own home in GOA or rent? How long do you spend in Goa?

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 07:05
goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

joachin please go boil your head, as clearly you have nothing important to contribute.

3. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 April 2013, 07:35
Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

I have been long term quite a times,If I am honest , i do not like it, i get very fed up. For me the right amount of time is 6 to 8 weeks, after that it is to much heat, to much doing not a lot!!. Of course we are all different, and some people really look forward to it (as did I ), but found the reallity somewhat different. I normally rent an apartment, we did consider buying , but I an glad we did not.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

Hi we usually do 2-3 months and love it You have to have a different outlook and not treat it as a holiday, thats ok fror 2-3 weeks. We do not do the beach at weekend prefer to stay home and just chill we go out every evening but are back in home by 9.30 and then much the same as being at home just watch tv etc we probably once every couple of weeks eat out with friends and make a night of it we do a 3-4 trip half way through and go into rural India which is fantastic We just live as if we was home the difference being the great weather and the cost we spend on average £20 a day this covers stuff from supermarket shack food and beer and evening meal and drink Can't do that in uk so every winter Goa it is

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

Are there any more posters please; I am also interested in this topic and would be grateful of any contributors views.

Thank you

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
421 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

Hi,

We find that 8 weeks is long enough for us. This year after 8 weeks in Goa we moved onto some other countries for a further 5 weeks and found that it worked really well for us, After 13 weeks we were not homesick as the last 5 weeks were all new and different to us.

We do pretty much the same as alleston and have 2 or 3 days a week away from the beach and just do something different.We have many friends that stay in Goa for longer and are fine but for us after 8 weeks we are ready for the off.

I know for sure that being away in our winter months somewhere nice and warm is better than being at home.

Beverley, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

Just got back after staying in the south for 8 weeks. I agree with Alleston, we didn't really think of it as a holiday but living in the sunshine away from the cold weather at home. We too didn't go to the beach every day (never on the Sunday!) and often stayed in on the evening - but we did have an excellent chef at our guesthouse who served the most fantastic meals for us on our balcony. On those nights we just chilled out with a few honeybees, read, played games, watched the odd DVD and skyped folks back home. We stayed at other beaches several times for a change of scene, but I can honestly say we were never bored.

It was lovely going home and seeing family and friends but I wasn't homesick at all and would recommend it.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

I just love Skype, I too miss home(UK) terribly and I try to get back to Scarborough for family and fish and chips and Coventry (home)as often as possible. I miss the snow and rain.

Have any of you tried using a VPN to stream in UK TV? I know there is more to life than TV but sometimes it makes your nights in if you can catch up with crap tv. I know the DVDs are not always best quality.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
369 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Long term visitors, what do you with your days?

Years ago I used to go for 3 months, mid Nov till mid Feb. I had a room just off the beach road close to the beach and every day i would relax on the beach, swimming, reading, listening to world service, eating great lunches at Bobbies shack, it was heaven.

Every evening was spent like a holiday, shower up, beers in the bar and dinner. Each visit would head south for a few days, went to Hampi once but overall it was total relaxation and did I miss home......absolutely not!!!

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations