We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

Hi can any one tell me why last year (oct 2012 to March 2013) I only saw the elephants three times I miss seeing them and giving them a pat and a banana, is it elf & safety in Goa surely not !!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

I believe it is very much needed elephant elf and safety and them not being allowed to walk on the hot roads as it burns their feet, poor things. Our taxi driver told us that, no idea if its true but i hope it is.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

Hi dragonfli

I'm for any thing that looks after the elephants but I can't see it being the hot roads as it never seem to bother them for the past ten years.

I rely miss the elephants they are so much a part of India

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

It was the new government, banned them from parading them around the streets because of the hot tarmac. I would like to know if it is true as well but that is what our taxi driver said.

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

howi,, a nice ride on one and lunch,,a bit xpen maybe.lol. viator.com/tours/…d4594-5588GETSG9PD

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

yes well i'm sill disappointed I love the elephants and will not be seeing as much of them I'll just have to do the" jungle book " again !!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

You can usually find one at the temple in Arpora.

Calangute, India
Destination Expert
for Goa, Candolim, Calangute
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

Agree usualy at the temple,and under the trees on the aproach to Anjuna market,the big one that used to walk the road around Calangute/Candolim was named Laxshmi usualy accompanied by men in Orange who soon had thiere hand out if you attempted to take a picture,people used to think they were priests but in fact just scammers out for a few pounds which they used to spend on booze

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

yes dragon07 I know the ones you mean but a few years ago after a pat and banana he held out his hand I said to him Ive just fed your elephant and I gave you money a few weeks ago to that he shook my hand and gave me a big hug and has never asked me again for money.

I must admit I checked my pockets after the hug just to be sure every thing was still there !!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
328 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

Howi,

Buy the cheapest bottle of Cashew Feni you can, sit in the shade of a tree and drink the Feni whilst watching the world go by. Very soon as the bottle level creeps down below halfway you will see all the elephants you want. Some pink, some with polka dots, some that fly and some that dance. Also you will see a crocodile doing a John Wayne impression, a rapping monk and a naked wicked witch of the west complete with broomstick (analysis please). Well that’s what happened to me. And all for about 50p!

Happy Hols. Paymonger

England Wigan
Level Contributor
402 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephants on the road between Candolim & calangute

Nice one paymonger

Danny