We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

One or both of us has had it every time we've been to Goa, last time we had to call the doctor out to my partner

But if anyone has found any good tricks on how to avoid it, we'd love to know!

Strangely enough, it doesn't put us off going.....!

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,199 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

Well in all our years of going we have never had Delhi belly. You must have been very unlucky.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

In 25 years, I've been ill twice, so what are you doing?!!! Wash your hands, use anti-bacterial gel before you eat, don't have ice in your drink unless you know it's clean ice, don't eat from a buffet that's been sitting around all evening, eat somewhere you know they buy meat/fish daily (ie not in the hotel). I don't eat meat in Goa, but I do eat fish, although I'm mostly veggie while I'm there. My husband has been ill several times, mostly after he's eaten chicken.

3. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 November 2013, 22:53
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

Hygiene..........and don't gulp down very cold water. But theres no magic bullitt.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

The usual precautions but also, try a glass of Lassy each day or regular. This will settle your stomach.

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

Take boots or any other chemist, Pro-biotic tablets for a few weeks before you go and all through your time in India worked really well for us last year and going to do the same this year. I guess everyone is different in what they do. Also carry the hand gel for just before we ate any food out and about.

manchester
Destination Expert
for Baga, Arpora
Level Contributor
5,611 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

Oops, should've read Lassi.

A regular glass will help your stomach.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 19:33
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

I have never had it in all the years I have been to Goa, The only time my hubby was ill, was when he had breakfast at a cafe in candolim which was being run by British people, they were advertising that they had English bacon, so hubby had his breakfast then spent 3 days really ill, he had to stay in hospital with a drip in his arm. The bacon had been frozen to leave the UK, it had defrosted on the way over to Goa, and they had then refrozen it. Never again has he has an English breakfast.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
455 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

we take hand gel and use it before eating anything and we were fine last year, also we don't drink "cold" water, leave it out of the fridge for an hour or if on beach 10 mins in the sun should do it, the cold straight to your stomache is not good for it. we eat meat and fish, but always cooked to order, never off a buffet. hope that helps and if you're ill get someone to go to the nearest chemist your usually right as rain within 24 hours!

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there a way to avoid Delhi belly?

if you ask for ice and you get a bucket full good chance it is tap water if he brings it in a glass gives you a lump and asks if you want another good chance he has bought the ice or water to make it

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations