We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Money

Hiya, we are going on 6th Jan staying at silver sands,we are wondering whether to get a prepaid money card or take cash.? It is our 1st time in goa.we also plan on taking our visa card, is it safe to do this. Really not sure what is the best way any advice would be appreciated.

Viceroy's Arch
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Cabo Palace
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money

Hey It's better to take cards as they are more safe and secure way to pay while you should keep some cash in hand as well.

Welcome to goa enjoy your holidays. Happy new year!

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money

Goa is one of the few places that I don't use my debit and credit cards, mainly due to the shortage of ATMs where we stay in Cavelossim. Personally I prefer the security of travellers cheques in Goa, though my OH always takes cash. If you are going to take your debit and credit cards remember to let you bank know in advance.

gateshead
Level Contributor
176 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money

We always take cash but have cards with us to buy expensive items like jewelry. Its easy to exchange cash but usually as a rule dont use hotels for this as its a poor rate.

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money

Hi,

I would take cash and look after it! There are a couple of banks with ATM's in Candolim on the main road.

Nick

Bridlington, United...
Level Contributor
679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money

HDFC bank charge £2 per transaction when you use the ATM, maximum 10,000 rupees per transaction although you can put your card straight back in and use it again.

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money

Cards are fine, there are lots of atm's let your bank know though before you go. We also take cash, never had any probs

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money

I also like Travellers Cheques for Goa .I feel they are safer, and if lost or stolen can be replaced. I have had my cards blocked at those ATM's even when telling my bank I am in Goa. I do carry a credit card for large purchases

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money

Unless you are doing a lot of traveling go with travelers cheques as you will tend to change your money with the same person and once they have scanned your PP the first time just like changing cash some give you the same as cash some 1 INR less but still a lot safer than cash and less hassle than cards and finding a atm

midlands
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money

only ever use my debit cards in candolim, no less hassle going to an atm than going to get a travellers cheque cashed!

plenty of atms about and the charges are negated by the bank exchange rate which i have always found higher than the exchange places.

Edited: 28 December 2013, 18:07
Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money

Thanks everyone, I think cash it is and will take my cards as well because I will be buying jewellery and who knows what else. I am hoping that I can find some silk fabric and I am taking my prescription for some new glasses. I am getting excited now.