We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets

Has anyone got to Goa and got there malaria tablets there to take think there one a week if so could you tell me what they are called.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets

I don't know why Goan pharmacists persist in giving out just the one a week tablets. They are either proguanil or chloroquine but not both. These work IN COMBINATION, but NOT singly. Neither is effective on its own in Goa. You can buy both in Goa, but you need daily and weekly tablets, and you should take them a week before you go.

There are also conflicting reports on which tablets are effective at the moment, because of the increase in cerebral malaria. Check with your health provider, with MaSTA, or with www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/advice/malaria.aspx

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
172 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets

They do sell the once a week one,s they are called Mefloquine Hydrochloride.

But they have some very bad side effects.

Julie

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets

Mefloquine is also known as Larium.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets

Thanks guys might just get them here .

Retford, United...
Level Contributor
581 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets

I got private prescription from dr for Atovaquone and Proguanil 250 mg(equivalent to Malarone). I confirmed with chemist here and Malarone patent ran out about 7months ago, so this is the same ingredients just not branded therefore a lot cheaper. I paid £1.75 per tablet. Take 1 a day for 2days before arriving then everyday there, then 7days on return. We had no side effects last time. So that has to be a plus!

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Tablets

the generic malaron is the best choice buy far .Even if the stuff sold in goa was any good it has to be started at least a week before you get there

Hounslow, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Tablets

We used the generic Malarone last April and they were fine! Got them online with a discount code too! We will getting them from the same place for our trip in April 14! Can't bleeding well wait :)

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,868 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Tablets

Do you want to share where you got them?

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Tablets

Travelpharm sell the generic ones at 1.75 per tablet. I took them in november for gambia then in December for goa and had no problems or side effects.

Hounslow, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Tablets

Pharmacy2u. You do need a prescription from your G.P then send it off! I think we recieved ours back within 7 days. Hope this helps :)

Edited: 29 December 2013, 18:34