We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets

Been to see my nurse and she has recommended doxycycline tablets, I have my doubts about these as I took malarone last year, what should I do people.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets

Get yourself to Boots and get the repellent with 50% Deet. Forget the pills, Keep your windows closed with A/C on. Spray the room with mosquito spray ( A Good dose) Before you go out at night. that is what we do.

Leeds
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets

Read on here that some people have suffered badly with burning and some been OK. Personally would go with Malarone but I'm no Doctor, it may be because of other medication you take.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets

I have seen people that took these pills violently sick.

england
Level Contributor
4,257 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets

Different people react differently to each tablet, I am currently taking doxycycline right now, am back in uk. You need to take these upto 4 weeks after your return. Spent a number of hours on sunbeds during my holiday, and had no reaction what so ever. Do make sure like someone said to use a good 50 percent deet, always use the one from boots. No bites what so ever this year, however saw a number of people with lots of bites, either used no deet, or maybe used odomus and not worked for them, as only 12 percent deet. Others use odomus and are fine, others not so lucky.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
178 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets

From the National Travel Health Netwrok Centre (current advice for travellers from the UK):

"Chloroquine resistance is present in the rest of India. The recommended chemoprophylaxis for the rest of India (including Goa and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands) is chloroquine plus proguanil"

6. Re: Malaria tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 15:12
Edited: 29 January 2014, 15:12
7. Re: Malaria tablets

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
178 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets

As you say no one on here is really qualified but I can say (as a chemist) that malarone is NOT proguanil + chloroquine but it is proguanil + atovaquone which is different.

9. Re: Malaria tablets

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
389 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets

no longer recommended by some web sites not all

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations