We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Hi,

Sadly a friends mother passed away while we were on holiday. Their tour company was not helpful whatsoever, when they tried to get back to the UK. We were with a different company who actually intervened and helped them out. They were informed that as came on a charter flight they would have to get permission from the chief immigration officer to get permission to leave on a different flight. Is this true? They also had to pay £200 on top of the charge from the tour company for the return seats to the UK. They were informed before arriving at the airport that the cash had to be placed in the passports secretly otherwise that would not be allowed to travel. Under the circumstances they just paid the cash to get home as soon as possible. They were informed that if they booked their own return flight online they would have been refuted exit, is this true?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Sorry to hear of your friend's loss.

Did they have insurance as this event should have been covered, unless they knew of an illness which ' could' have contributed to the loss of their Mum in advance of their trip.

The £200 sounds like an outright bribe to me and is sickening to think that the airport officials take these bribes and don't seem to have a sympathetic bone in their body, sorry but this makes me really angry I think it is disgusting! I don't suppose they got a receipt for the money? If I were them once they feel up to it I would send a complaint to the authorities and to the immigration authorities.

Out of interest which Tour company were your friends with?

Wirral U.K.
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Complete and total scam.

I am extermely sorry for their loss but sadly i am constantly amazed at how people can be taken in.

Under the circumstances you can understand them just anting to get home and it is such a shame that no one was there who knew what nonsense this was.

very sad and disgusting to take advantage of someone like this.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Hi Mulzy,

They did get a receipt for the official flight money which they can claim for, but obviously not for the cash. They were with Cosmos I think. The cash was made to a different tour company official.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

You can enter on charter then leave on scheduled, but not visa-versa.

If you enter on charter, and leave on charter, it must be with the same flight company, T. Cooks, Thomsons etc, strange but thats the rules.

Sorry to hear of your friends loss.

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

They are very strict now with trolley people not allowed to take tips when only two weeks ago one helped me lift a heavy case into my car.

Let's hope they catch this person and show him the door.

Very sorry to hear about this awful upset for your friend made twice as bad by this disgusting act.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Thanks Steely,

So you have confirmed you do need special permission to leave on a different charter other than the one originally booked. The reason they chose to return on a charter was purely down to journey time as the insurance had already agreed to cover their journey. The times were 10.5hrs charter V 29hrs schedule.

dewsburyYorkshire
Level Contributor
4,412 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

So sorry to hear of your friends loss..

we had similar problem in Jan. had to come home early due to my sister passing away.iThe rules are

If you fly in on a charter you can only fly home on one.

We were with Qatar and booked through Co..Op, We went to Qatar office in Panjiim to try and get an earlt flight home. they told us we had to get in touch with Co Op in Uk, as we booked with them and they had to sort us out.. Eventually they did get us a flight for 5days later with QAtar, but it costs us £800 for the tickets..

The moral of the story is if you book direct with Qatar airlines, they change ypur tickets for £100. The tour company can charge full amount with commission added! How much did your friend pay?

Needless to say we have just booked our flights direct with Qatar, so we no where we stand, and it has all their terms and conditions at bottom of E.Ticket, which we have never seen when booking with Co. Op.

Fortunately we are ongoing with insurance for return of our money.

Hope everyone takes note of this for future reference.....

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Well at least they can claim for part of it, I must say it is disgusting that cosmos would not assist them. We booked with them years ago and had some major problems with them and vowed never to book with them again and I have religiously stuck to my promise!! They are hopeless when things go wrong :(

If I were your friends I would still write to some officials in the tourism industry and immigration etc to make them aware of the bribes and the circumstances.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Hi Thornhill,

The flights were really reasonable at £500 for both seats. but their there original holiday was quite expensive.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Returning to UK earlier than planned?

Yes Tillyliz, but the changing hands of £200 is taking advantage of a sad situation

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations