We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

Hi, I would be really grateful if anyone could help - myself, my husband and four children are travelling to Goa on 16th December 2014 for two weeks. Please can anyone advise when I should be thinking of applying for visas? Also, have been to visit our GP practice nurse today to find out recommendations for vaccinations. Have had typhoid and diphtheria/ tetanus/ polio vaccines and are booked in for a course of hep a/ hep b vaccines. The nurse also recommended the rabies vaccines, but said I needed to consult a private clinic and also advised that malaria precautions were no longer necessary. Expected malaria precautions to be necessary, so am a little confused? Remember taking them when I visited Goa many moons ago! Any opinions re. the rabies vaccines and malaria tablets?? Thank you.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,202 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

I'd leave the visa's until mid October (visa on arrival may have been announced by then too) . Read this post about Rabies.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297605-i9001-k7…

UK
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

The advice on malaria has changed and what you have been told is correct. Have a look at this link on the fitfortravel website.

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/india.aspx#malaria

Edit. Don't know why this link never works when I put it on. All other links do. Anyway.......

Edited: 01 September 2014, 16:37
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

There was a post last week about Goa being downgraded and malaria preventives no longer being necessary, so she is actually up to date and is giving you the right information (I'll find the link in a bit).

Personally I don't think rabies vaccines are necessary if you are just going to Goa for a fortnight's holiday. I do have them, but I volunteer with Goa Animal Welfare Trust, so it makes sense to me to have them. However, they don't actually protect you against the disease as such - it just means you have longer to get to a hospital, and that you will subsequently only need three injections instead of five. If you don't have the vaccination, then if you are bitten by a potentially rabid dog, you need to get to a hospital asap, but at least within 24 hours, and you will need a course of five injections. If you do have the vaccinations (which cost about £150 per person in the UK), you will have 48 hours to get to a hospital and only need three injections.

This is the link to the last update posted on here

http://bit.ly/W3p3E9

Edited: 01 September 2014, 16:41
London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,862 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

lgirl - I find it better to use bitly or owly to shorten links, then they seem to work on here.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
6,470 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

IGirl...You need some training with Baz, he is very good with the Blue Links... Lol

UK
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

Thanks LGG will give it a try. I agree Glyn, Baz is the expert on the Blues Lol!!

7. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 17:03
UK
Level Contributor
9,240 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

The above attempt did not work so I am hoping this one will. Fitfortravel link.

http://bit.ly/1CjpHyB

Success! Thanks again LGG:))

Edited: 01 September 2014, 17:08
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

You are aware i hope that if voa is not in plce yet visas for six people will set you back another £600 on top of your holiday costs.

For a fortnight

Edited: 01 September 2014, 17:30
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed please re. visa applications and vaccinations!

You are aasre i hope that if voa is not in place yet visas for six people will set you back another £600 on top of your holiday costs.

For a fortnight

Edited: 01 September 2014, 17:33