We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

J K
Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

Hello!

I'm in the early stages of planning a 2 week trip to Gujarat in Dec, and would like to cover Saurashtra and the Rann (Kutch). Ideally, I would like to go up to Dwaraka and then from there to Kutch.

I therefore wanted to know if there are any boats/ferries that ply across the Gulf (say Okha to Mandvi or even Jamnagar to Mundra)? Driving all around seems quite a long route, so am hoping there would be an easier way!

Also (I know I'm probably asking for too much, but...) if there is indeed a ferry, can I take a car on it?

Appreciate any help on this.

Thanks!

- JK

Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

Hi JK,

Join the list of "I wish!"

Sorry, as of now there are no ferries between Kutch and across the Gulf of Kutch. Till about the late 1960's there were ferries between Kandla and Navlakhi and earlier between Mandvi and Jamnagar too. So the only way is by road the circuitous route. Leaves no question for the Junkars for vehicles.

Enjoy the planning!

krutarthsinh

J K
Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

Thanks for the response, Krutarth sinh, even if it is a disappointing one as I feared! :) Now given that it's going to be a circuitous route, let me see how I can make best use of it finding sights on the way!

One followup question I had in that case - is Dwaraka worth it? I am not so much on a pilgrimage, as on a sight-seeing holiday. Given that, should I touch Dwaraka, or go straight from Gir, via Junagadh-Rajkot to Bhuj? In other words, is Dwaraka worth the long trip?

Thanks,

- JK

Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

Hi again,

Dwarka, besides as a pilgrimage place is according to me worth a visit, especially as you would be coming to Gujarat and one never knows when you would be able to come again. It is a pilgrimage point and as such not a very tourist place, but go to beyt dwarka and imagine the entire city under water and how it must have been 5000 years ago. One realizes the power of Mother Nature and what a tsunami could do to an entire city! Yes, add a day, even if it means a disappointment as a tourist!!!

k

PS: Here is a suggestive circuit: Ahmedabad (Day 1) - Dwarka (Day 2) - Nageshwar - Porbandar - Somnath - Gir Day 3 & 4) - Junagadh (Day 5) - Little Rann of Kutch (Day 6) - Kutch (Day 7-10).

J K
Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
435 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

Once again thanks a lot, Krutarthsinh! I'm putting together an itinerary quite similar to what you have suggested. The tricky bit for me is that I have a baby who'll be 14mo old in Dec...so need to balance the plan accordingly. Hope to get your feedback on it once I have it finalized!

Thanks!

- JK

5. Re: Crossing the Gulf of Kutch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2013, 10:18