We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sasan Gir in December

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
194 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Sasan Gir in December

Planning a trip to Saurashtra in December with wife and 2 kids plus her parents. Base will be Gondal with relatives and plan to go to Junagadh, Sasan, Somnath and Diu. Questions are :

1) How long is the travel from Junagadh to Sasan Gir?

2) How many days would I need in Sasan Gir?

3) What is comfortable place to stay, 3-4 star. Checked up Gir Birding Lodge, looks good.

I plan to route Junagadh-Somnath-Sasan-Diu-Gondal. Not sure about days to spend in each place. Any advice will be appreciated. Total holiday available 7 days from which 2 days in Gondal.

vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sasan Gir in December

Junagadh to Sasan is an hour to hour and a half. There to Diu is two hours. I have not stayed at the Gir Birding Lodge but it is well located and does get decent reviews. E mail GirCosmic.com, they should be able to give you better information on what is available. It is difficult to determine how to break up your vacation time without knowing what your interests are. You can visit Somnath on your way to Diu. If you are planning on climbing Girnar, Junagadh will take a full day otherwise half a day.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
194 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sasan Gir in December

Thanks for the advice. Both I and my like historical places but maybe kids agreed 4&8 may not like this too much. I don't think we will climb girnar with kids. What is to be seen in junagadh and diu? How many days are needed in sasan gir?

vkb
mississippi
Level Contributor
631 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sasan Gir in December

You should do a minimum of two safaris in Gir. This is easily done if you spend one night there. If you are not climbing Girnar then you can quickly see the sights of Junagadh in half a day. These include the Step well, the fort, the Maqbara and the Ashokan rock edicts. Diu is a an island with some interesting Portuguese architecture and a good place to relax by the sea. You may run in to some young drunk Gujaratis that come over as alcohol is legal in Diu.

Edited: 03 October 2011, 21:49
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
588 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sasan Gir in December

Sasan to Diu is actually about 4 hours. Went there recently. Sasan to Somnath is about 1 to 1.5 hrs. You can spend an hour at the temple complex and leave for Diu. You should get to Diu in about 2 to 2.5 hrs.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sasan Gir in December

The right way to organize your trip is

Gondal -> Junagadh -> Sasan -> Somnath -> diu

1.) Gondal : In this city you can find traditional forts of "Gondal State". Just 1 day is enough for Gondal.

2.) Junagadh : Junagadh is very historical place. Main attaraction is Mt. Giranar, Uparcot, Zoo, Other Temples. All places are beautiful to visit. 1 day is covered all attractions.

3.) Sasan : A lion century. You can visit this place in day time. In night it will be close for people. 1 day is enough for this but u might be spend 2 day at "Sinh Sadan Guest House".

4.) Somnath : Temple of lord Shiv. One of the best shivlinga of india. Temple is situated at beach. you can spend half day at there.

5.) Diu : Diu is know for beach. "Nagva Beach" is the best beach of there. You can also visit old fort and other beach. you can spend 2 days at diu.

6. Re: Sasan Gir in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Gir National Park