We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to see snow!!

Which Manali hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Topic
Want to see snow!!

Hey Guys,

My wife and I want to visit Manali or Kullu or Shimla. Currently I am working in Bangalore, but we both have a long cherished desire to experience snowfall. we have decided to visit Manali, heard there is a good chance of seeing the snow fall. however, not sure of what is the best time and place to visit there.

Please suggest a good time for us to experience the snowfall and probably a good place (area) to stay there. Any suggestion or tips are welcome. Thanks in advance for all your help in this regard.

Regards

Bidur

india
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to see snow!!

Hi,

I think Manali is best option to experience snow.

Snow fall is expected any time from mid December to mid Feb .Experiencing fresh snow fall is matter of chance .You will get lot of snow about 15-20 kms above Manali on Rothang road at all times in winter .

Thanks

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,372 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to see snow!!

No one can predict on snow fall. But, I can recommend to be at Rotang Pass or Snow Point in Oct to Feb, you will get snow there. If there is a cloudy weather, chances of snowfall will be more.

I had been in Quality Inn River Country in Manali. Its a nice property on the bank of River Beas.

Edited: 22 September 2010, 08:12
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to see snow!!

Manali has a lot of Hotels at various price points, what's your budget ?

And In December/January you'll get snow at Rohtang Pass and may be even Solang Nullah too.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to see snow!!

Hi Rohitseth, Ashis and Yogi ,

Thanks for your replies. I was planning to go there in Dec 2nd Week. Actually, its variable, I can change the travel plan according to you guys' advice.

My range for hotel would be around 5K per day and would stay around 3 days there. This would be my honeymoon (2nd). Please suggest some hotels (and a travel plan, if possible).

Watching the snowfall is our dream, hence, its important that we travel there accordingly. Thank you.

Regards

Bidur

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,372 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to see snow!!

Recommended Hotels :

Cecil Clark or Jass Radisson in Shimla

River Country Resort or Apple Country Resort or Ambassador resort in Manali.

Edited: 23 September 2010, 06:33
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
7,616 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to see snow!!

Dear Bidurkumar,

Predicting snowfall is tough (almost impossible) but you can increase your chances by opting for mid January. Even if you don't see snow falling down you'll see plenty of it at Rohtang Pass & Solang Nullah.

That's a decent budget for a hotel. I have two recommendations:

1. Hotel Highland Park - It's 4 Kms away from Manali on Rohtang Road. But it's a hotel which you won't forget easily, AWESOME location.... and it's good for early morning jaunt to Rohtang for snow.

2. Manuallya Resorts (It was called Ambassador resorts way back). It's also situated at very picturesque location.

Manali is a foodie heaven too, must eat at places are:

Cafe Manalsu, Old Manali

IL Forno, on the Hadimba Temple road for great Italian food

Shop 10 - For excellent cakes

Dylan’s Roasted and Toasted

Cheers !

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
323 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to see snow!!

Weather patterns are changing these days. There was a time when Shimla would recieve snowfall just before Christmas every year. But in the last few years, it didn't snow in December at all. Winter starts late and stays late. My friend couldn't even reach his hotel at Manali due to heavy snowfall in mid-March.

I would advice going to Manali in Jan only. Consider yourself very-2 lucky if you go in Dec and it snows. But as Ashish mentioned, you will see snow at Rohtang. If that's inaccesible then at snow point.

Bengaluru, India
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to see snow!!

Thank you all for sharing the valuable information with me, appreciated.

If you happen to find any further information for me, pls post.

Regards

Bidur

9. Re: Want to see snow!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 05:33