We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Which Manali hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Is it suitable to visit manali in December. wheather the rohtang pass and snow point will remain open for visitors @ that time ?? what is the p/p cost of rental car from manali to leh (if we hire a sumo in sharing 8 person).

Manali, India
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Hi,

December is not suitable to visit Manali. The road to Rohtang closes by december. If you want to roam around manali and see some snow fall, then you can come on december. But you can't go to Solang valley and Rohtang. At that time, the connectivity to leh will also be closed.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Hi Mithun,

If you are ok with cold weather and low temperatures, no problem in going to Manali in dec.... Manali being a big town and very commercial, accommodations will be available. Rohtang pass will be closed.

I would suggest if you really want to go to Leh, take a plane. Go air operates from Del -Leh. But pls do mind that reaching LEH WITHOUT ACCLIMATIZATION is not suggested. You'll need a day in Leh just to make yourself adaptable. In December, chances of other passes to Leh being closed are very high. thus there is not much traffic to Leh so your options to go by jeep decreases to almost nil (if it has snowed already up there). Moreover, some of the businesses are also closed in Leh with limited choice of accommodations.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Thanx idiscoverindia_anith and LuvSharma. Leh plan canceled. one of my friend who recently visited leh-ladakh had advised me to not to go to leh with out having sufficient time in hand. I am going to visit manali in sept. now help me with, if I go by myself (i.e. without any help of travel agency) what would be the cost of hire a small car (for me and my wife) for 2 and half days. and what is the price of volvo bus from delhi to manali ?????

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Hi,

You want to hire car from Delhi?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Volvo rate delhi-manali should be around 1000 - 1300 or so. Difference is that some volvo have personal LCD screen so might be charging 1200 or so one way.

For cars you should check the site - carzonrent. They launched their brand "myles" for self driven cars renting. A swift probably may cost you 1500/ day. + fuel.

Cheers!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

thanx pal, I want to rent a car for manali. during our stay just to visit rohtang pass, manikaran, kullu etc. One more thing. I love wine and I know I will get some great quality wine over there. So can anybody tell me is there any specifi shop or any govt authorized shop that from where I have to buy it or else in station there would be any problem. Can I carry wine with me in train (Rajdhani/Duranta),

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Yes, you can rent the car for any purpose from Myles. Pls take the full insurance package. That will keep you safe and worry free. You must speak to them and get a clear picture.

About - Wine. I have seen them available all across highways. You can buy from anywhere, they are easily spotted. And yes, they hit hard!!! :) So enjoy responsibly! I was out in a bottle. Probably, took a stronger one or whatever. Not sure. But yes they are good.

Cheers!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Hi.

Actually I was planning for Sept. but due to some reason I have to visit in Aug. Is it ok with ?? Cause I saw in many sites that its not a good time for paragliding and skiing. so what is the good time for paragliding..

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Actually the best time is October and November when winds are at best. Even March - May is also good.

The only thing with August is the rains. If it happens in continuity like everyday even for sometime... the service provider is at rest! :)

Cheers!

Edited: 19 May 2014, 18:28
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: suitable time to visit manali (plannig for december)

Hi, i think i mixed up a little in above post. I was under impression that the thread is for Bir-billing. Did not realize i have to answer for Manali Paragliding. I am not sure of Manali paragliding scene, but heard that it's very elaborated like Bir-Billing. It lasts for merely 5-10 mins. But i believe, rains will be major decider.

I also just read again that u asking for skiing.... well i wonder u wont get to do skiing anywhere in any of the commercial places in the month of August. The snow is all gone.

If u happen to find one place for skiing in August, please do let me know too....

By the way, In October, a pre world cup competition is also organized in Bir. Try catching that.... it's absolute fun! In case u want to shift to October.

Cheers!

Edited: 19 May 2014, 18:38