We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kashmir - late July - Gulmarg or Sonmarg?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Kashmir - late July - Gulmarg or Sonmarg?

My family of 6 is planning to go to Kashmir approximately July 29 - August 1. We definitely want to do Pahalgam, but are conflicted about whether to see Gulmarg or Sonmarg (as we can only see one). Which one is better to see around this time? I've heard that Gulmarg is much more touristy and there is no snow, but I am not sure. In addition, we have 2 senior citizens. Does that also change anything?

Jammu City, India
Level Contributor
207 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Kashmir - late July - Gulmarg or Sonmarg?

Sonemarg is a much better place.You can have a pony ride to thajwas glacier.Gulmarg is better only if you want to have gondola ride.

Edited: 22 July 2014, 18:15
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Kashmir - late July - Gulmarg or Sonmarg?

I would also opt for Sonmarg. There is still some snow in Gulmarg gondola Phase II, but the gondola rides itself are priced at Rs 1400/- per person, which can hit one's pockets !! Also the Gulmarg meadows have lost their lush green hues by now.

3. Re: Visiting Kashmir - late July - Gulmarg or Sonmarg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 05:16