We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kashmir Trip in Dec

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kashmir Trip in Dec

Hi,

Me and my husband are planning to go to Kashmir by this Nov end. We will go to Jambu by train.We want to visit places Srinagar with 1 night in houseboat, Pahelgam, Gulmarg, Sonmarg

1) Can we manage our tour ourselves or need to do agent through? If agent than can you give me any reference which is affordable? Our budget is 30-35k for 7-8 days max. Or can we go directly there and will get hotels in Good rates? During this time can we get hotels without prior booking?

2) Hotels by Makemytrip is affordable if we book ourselves? Any suggestions for hotels min 3 star.

3) How to go from Jambu to Shrinagar? and how much time needed so we can book our hotels according to that.

4) During Dec houseboat stay is available or not?

5) For site seeing we want to hire any car. Can you provide reference which is affordable? and we are going to stay at pehelgam, gulmarg, sonmarg. So we have to do different car each time? Can we do one car for whole trip? Is that cheap?

Thanks

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Hi Dipika,

Please visit my report on my Kashmir Tour,which may help u in planning.http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297619-i8568-k6467752-Jammu_Kashmir_Tour_Report-Jammu_and_Kashmir.html

You can plan the tour yourself.

My experience with Make my trip is terrible.Better avoid & plan the tour yourself.

December is winter in Kashmir & you may find snow in Srinagar & other places too.Its not really peak season & you can get accomodation with discounts.

Jammu to Srinagar will take around 8 hours by road.Its preferable to book a cab from Jammu to Jammu,which will be convenient & cheaper.You can cover all the places except Pahalgam,where it is mandatory to hire a local cab for sight seeing due to their union rules.

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Thanks Deepak.

During Dec houseboat stay is available or not because I heard that Dal lake freeze in Dec.

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Dipika,

It depends on the weather.Incase of extreme cold & Dal lake freezing,only some of the houseboats are closed,others continue to operate,especially which are closer to the shores.Generally the weather freezes in Jan/Feb.So,early Dec should be ok.

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

I read your report...It's having useful information ..I went to Kashmir in 2000 with my family. This time wants to go with my husband :) I live in Dubai so after experiencing this super hot country want to go to freeze :)

Thanks again :)

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Hi

Any specific reason you want to travel by road to Jammu ? because as there are direct flights from Dubai to Srinagar itself you may opt for it

1)Use this website extensively to book rooms yourself no need to go for an agent spot booking in Nov end is possible as this is not peak season but you have to roam around There are many hotels including 3 star suggeted by our DE Ashish Roy

2) there are mixed opinions both positive and negative about makemytrip.com This April I visited kashmir valley using cleartrip.com for Air india flight ticket my experience with cleartrip is excellent trustworthy I booked hotels directly

3) Jammu to Srinagar minimum 10 hours travel by road, taxi or shared taxi or buses are options

4) I think houseboat should be available

5) In this link kashmir DE ashisroy suggested taxi operator contact phone

tripadvisor.in/…48933155

my kashmir travel blogs

travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Thanks Alen,

Actually I will not go direct from Dubai to Kashmir. I will go from UP or Gujarat. This is not fixed yet. May be will go by flight. All this depends on the plan of whole month holidays :) Just wanted to know if we go by train.

OK then i will go direct as this is not a pick season.

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Hi,

Is it necessary to book Goldola in advance for December first week? Actually our day of Gulmarg visit is not fixed yet. We can not decide weather to go to Gulmerg or srinagar for sonmarg. We are thinking to decide after reaching and depends on weather conditions. So is it fine if we don't buy online gondola tickets? We want to avoid long queue.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Its not necessary to book in advance.

You may go and buy tickets , your local transport supplier may assist you to get ticketing done in case if you wish to visit gondola.

Have great trip ahead.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Hi Deepika, To visit kashmir you can manage your trip by yourself. But I would like to suggest you visit some travelling sites who provide travel services. You can check their plans & service. if their plans are with in your budget then you should take their plan and make free yourself form all the headaces which we face during the travel.

Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kashmir Trip in Dec

Thank yo guys :) We are going to plan ourselves ...We don't need any agents ...I have already planned my itinerary with detail places , hotels, restaurants. Just have confusion about gulmerg and srinagr trip days. If it's snow then have to go first to srinagar as I heard that Sonmarg closes during snow fall. So have not booked Gondola...

So now I will not book it in advance :)