We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Which Srinagar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Guwahati, Assam...
2 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

And that's because I want to experience the extreme cold. I have some question though -

1. Can snowfall be expected in Srinagar during Jan?

2. Will I be able to enjoy shikara ride (due to lakes freezing) and other attractions in Srinagar during Jan?

3. Can I expect to travel to Pahelgam and Gulmarg with road blockage being an factot?

4. This is important, shall I book hotel rooms before hand or will I be able to book them after reaching?

Any reply would be of great help.

Thanks.

Edited: 07 September 2013, 12:38
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

snowfall is unpredictable, it may or may not your luck,

shikara ride , yes you may be able to ride

you may also be able to visit Pahalgam and Gulmarg

you may book the hotel in advance if you wish or you can get the rooms on arrival, suggest you to book in advance to get the better deal

Guwahati, Assam...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Thanks for replying. I'm planning to land in Srinagar on the 10th of Jan. Will it be the peak of winter in Kashmir?

Edited: 07 September 2013, 17:13
Hyderabad, Andhra...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

i am planning to visit kashmir last week of december 13 is that ok with 8 year old boy for one week what extra care shall i take , shall able to enjoy grenary and snow please some suggest pl

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,053 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

pranvcha

If possible, avoid road transport between Jammu and Srinagar. Because, the highway often get closed due to snow in winter. Temperature will be sub zero, 3 layers would be needed. Green meadows will be covered by snow.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 10:59
jammu
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Hi Bublu1986

1. Can snowfall be expected in Srinagar during Jan? (Yes its expected 90 % chances to snow there and rest depend on your luck )

2. Will I be able to enjoy shikara ride (due to lakes freezing) and other attractions in Srinagar during Jan? (Almost in Jan month Shikara not possible because in Jan the Ice Cap on the Lake)

3. Can I expect to travel to Pahelgam and Gulmarg with road blockage being an factot? (Yes by road you can enjoy travel to Pahalgaam and Gulmarg for Gulmarg from Tangmarg to Gulmarg there are chain vehicle 4x4 that help you drop in Gulmarg otherwise all vehicles stuck in tungmarg)

4. This is important, shall I book hotel rooms before hand or will I be able to book them after reaching?

Yes you need to book you rooms before and keep in mind the Hotel should be AC or better heating facility

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

January comes in the middle of the winter season , there will be enough cold temperature to enjoy

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Hi all

I am planning to visit Gulmarg on 20th January. My 1.5 years daughter will be travelling along. What will be the weather conditions and will it be safe for the child to travel?

Kindly suggest.

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Hi all

I am planning to visit Gulmarg on 20th January. My 1.5 years daughter will be travelling along. What will be the weather conditions and will it be safe for the child to travel?

Kindly suggest.

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,053 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Visiting Gulmarg with 1.5 y/o is not recommennded in Jan. Coldest days for Kashmir starts from 20th Dec to 31st Jan.

Edited: 22 December 2013, 13:44
New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Kashmir in Jan, 2014

Thank you sir. I will try to postpone my trip by a week or so.

Actually, we aim to view the snowfall.