We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dal Lake Backwaters

Europe
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Dal Lake Backwaters

One of my highlights of a recent trip to Kashmir and Ladakh were the backwaters of Dal Lake.

I see the odd question about safety of Srinagar here- the main issue for me in June in Srinagar was that it was overrun with Indian middle-class families on vacation. Parts of Dal Lake were like Kao San rd- packed with tourists and with its own distinct subculture.

However, all my reservations disappeared when i took a ride on a shikara water taxi through the backwaters. timeless villages connected by water- and so quiet!

check it out:

…blogspot.it/2014/07/india-backwaters-of-dal…

Mentioned in this post
Dal Lake
Dal Lake
3,528 Reviews
Srinagar, India
Kashmir
Kashmir
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Ladakh
Ladakh
Jammu and Kashmir, India
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Royal India Expedition
Sightseeing Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Multi-day Tours
Hospitality Tours and Travels
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
Himalayan Edges
Eco Tours, Equipment Hire, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Ski & Snow Tours
Young Bombay Tour & Travels
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours
Canton of Aargau...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dal Lake Backwaters

MTL1969,

Thanks for your lovely trip report and pics....just curious what was the issue that you faced or thought you would face with "middle class Indian families on a vacation"......well everyone has a right to visit such beautiful places...isn't it?

Thanks

Deb

Mumbai
Level Contributor
10,999 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dal Lake Backwaters

Quite informative and illustrative. Thanks for the excellent report.

Look forward to visiting soon.

CarLink

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dal Lake Backwaters

mtl u captured beautiful pictures of dal lake

Europe
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dal Lake Backwaters

thanks all!

New Delhi
Level Contributor
185 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dal Lake Backwaters

debadatt, i guess the point MTL1969 is trying to make is not the indian middle class families have no right to visit the place. Its actually, that how to escape a place where there are hundreds of indian middle class families visiting.

Just like the indian famlies have right to visit this amazing place, i am sure others has right to find a place to visit away from them :)

6. Re: Dal Lake Backwaters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 05:15