We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Which Srinagar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, United Arab...
7 posts
Save Topic
Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Dears,

I am planning a trip to Srinagar on 29-Aug with family of two kids for max of 5-6 days. My Itinerary has to include the following places from going through other reviews.

Srinagar - Shikara ride on Dal lake, Mughal Gardens, Hazratbal. Tulip Gardens, Dachigam National park

Gulmarg - Roam around green meadow, pony ride, Gondola ride to Affarwat, Snow activities (is it possible).

Pahalgam - enroute Awantipura ruins, Aru, Chandanbari and Betaab Valley

Please advice decent hotels and restaurant as well.

How can me move around these places. Hiring CAB in advance is needed? Any references pl.

Regards,

Azhar

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

1- Arrival Srinagar Airport, transfer to Gulmarg

2- Gulmarg-snow activities, after lunch - transfer to Pahalgam

3- Pahalgam s/s, overnight stay

4- To Srinagar - local s/s, shopping

5- Day tour to Sonamarg

6- Fly out.

Mention your budget for hotel.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 09:22
Jamnagar
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

we are planning to visit srinagar for 6 nights 7 days (my wife nd 5 yr kid) from 21oct to 27th oct or 29oct to 3rd nov , with my friend (his wife and 5 yrs kid) , our budget is 50k per family, is it advisable to go with tour operator if so then pls suggest tour operator or shuld we manage with our selves then pls recommanded hotels and taxi operator. we planned to visit srinagar , sonmarg , gulmarg and pahalgam. we are also planning to stay 1 night in houseboat so pls suggest good hotels & houseboad for srinagar , pahalgam and good taxi options for sight scene visit. pls reply as soon as possible so that we can book flight ticket by today.

3. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 11:05
Dubai, United Arab...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Thanks a lot Ashis. My budget in 40-50k to include everything.

I would like to experience authentic Kashmiri cuisine (Rogan-ghost, Gushtaba etc.). Please advice best Restaurants in Srinagar for such delicacies.

Would there be any chances to experiencing Snow in Gulmarg during this season. Kids wanted me the check this out. Would highly appreciate your expert advice on clothing to carry for this time.

Would it be wise to book a Hut with JKTD at Aru. I got some tips that taxi can go upto Hotel in this case without need to hire local cabs again from Pahalgam for Aru. I want my family to have best experience in Pahalgam especially covering places around. I can flex by budget a bit here. Hence, please advice.

Would it be worth going to Sonamarg especially during this season. Accordingly, I would decide if we can extend our stay in Pahalgam to 2Nights to give a travel break and to relax a bit before going back to Srinagar.

Thanks,

Azhar

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Hello JatinManiar,

At the beginning let me assure you that it is very easy to visit Kashmir on your own and one can very easily do the hotel and car bookings, without having to depend on travel agents/online portals....and in the process you will definitely be able to save some money !!!

A typical 6 night/7 day itenary would be as below :-

D1 :- Arrive at Srinagar and check into Houseboat / Hotel ( preferred). Afternoon at leisure and shopping on the Dal Boulevard. Shikara ride in the evening

D2 :- Srinagar local siteseeing.

D3 :- Srinagar - Sonmarg - Srinagar ( Sonmarg should be accessible by road during that time -- 2,5 hrs drive one way from Srinagar).

D4 :- Srinagar -- Gulmarg -- Srinagar...enjoy gondola ride.

D5 :- Srinagar --Pahalgam in the morning and at leisure in the afternoon by the river Lidder.

D6 :- Pahalgam local site seeing ( Aru, betaab, Chandanbari and Baisaran)

D7 :- Depart Pahalgam for Srinagar and catch flight back.

Hotels Srinagar :- Imperial Lake View, Nehru's, Paradise, Blooming Dale

HB :- Tehran HB, Ambassador HB, Karnai HB on Dal Lake. Wangnoo HB, Golden Flower HB, New Buckingham Palace HB, New Jacqulene HB on Nigeen Lake.

Hotels Pahalgam :- Himalaya House, Brown Palace, Wood Stock, Hill Top, Mount View, Baisaran, Alpine Inn.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Darjeeling, Sikkim, Meghalaya
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Hi Azhar S,

Ashish Roy has already sent you a 5N itenary...I have also included a 6N itenary ( in the earlier post) in case you can manage a little more time to keep your trip slightly relaxed.

You can get good Kashmiri food in Srinagar at Mughal Darbar restaurant and in Pahalgam at Paradise restaurant. Unfortunately you will not get any snow in Gulmarg, even in gondola Stage II. The only option of snow will be in Sonmarg...but you will ahve to travel by pony from the point tha taxi drops you to the beginning of the glacier, which maybe a 1.5 to 2 hr ride.

JKTDC Huts at Aru is a nice property and you can take the car hired from Srinagar right upto that property ( you will not be stopped at Pahalgam and asked to change over to a local car). In order to really enjoy Pahalgam, please select a hotel that is located right beside the river Lidder. Also remember to visit Baisaran on a pony.

Thanks

Edited: 11 July 2014, 13:29
India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
34,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Azhar S

May try the following restaurants for Kashmiri delicacies - Shamyana, Kareema, Grand Grills, Moti Mahal Deluxe, Ahdoos. I use have Nan and Gustaba in lunch at Ahdoos on arrival day, I go staright from the airport to Ahdoos. Sonmarg is a must see place, although Pahalgam is called the Paradise of Paradise.

Edited: 11 July 2014, 17:57
8. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 10:35
Dubai, United Arab...
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Thanks everyone....Good information and you guys are really doing a wonderful job. Appreciated.

I will follow your advices.

One last thing is the Taxi fares. This is where I am totally lost. Hence your inputs on how much can be spent for a comfortable 4 wheel to move around would greatly help me plan my Budget. Per day basis and place to place only are the options I am reviewing.

Thanks again....Azhar

India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
34,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel/Itinerary advice please...(Srinagar on 29-Aug)

Azhar S

TRANSPORT RATE EX SRINAGAR (Both way) Innova/Indica : Pahalgam - Rs 2500/1800. Gulmarg - Rs 2500/1800. Sonmarg - Rs 2500/1800. Srinagar local S/S = Rs 1800 /1500.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 09:19