We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

I am in early state of planing my indian vacation.I have limited time , 4 week in month of June&July .

It would be first time in India and decide to go north to Ladakh region. Got copy of new LP India guidebook but still have many question to ask. As a avid photographer i always choose scenic places and it seems this region has lot to offer . There is list of things i would like to see and do:one of the festival in Leh region(Lamayaru,Hemis,Takthong) Nubra valey(homestays treks), maybe Dal lake houseboats.....

I would like to have some of your thoughts,suggestion for my itinerary.Is June&July good period of year to travel to region?

Is there interesting places in Kashmir region that should not be missed and are 4 weeks of travel good amount of time?

What is the best way to travel without backtracking, start in Leh from Manali, or take a flight to Shringar from Delhi than by road to Leh via Kargil, Leh to Manali by bus?

As i am use to travel on budget dont know what can i expect in India with accomodation,transport and food costs?

Any help higly appriciated!

Cheers

India
Level Contributor
233 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

@ Mgtrex -

1) No issues buying a LP (always easier to start your trip with), but do keep it hidden while travelling - it gives away newbies and is a good signal for people to scam you!

2) After reading LP, DO research the places you find interesting on the next - the photos, blogs and TA reviews tell you far more than the guidebooks can.

3) The map in LP is especially handy to plan, but do remember - in this circuit, distances are often longer than they seem on the map - thanks to the mountainous terrain.

4) Places to stay - don't even bother to see LP - it is way outdated. Use the net. Google to the rescue :) What is your budget?

5) Places to stay - there are cheaper ones - the ones run by YMCA are always nice , clean and a good deal. There are lots of Youth hostels - simple, but always clean washrooms and interesting people. As for guesthouses and hotels, the cheaper ones tend to have bath rooms that are not so clean, hence it is better to spend a bit more.

6) Be prepared for snow, be prepared for travel plans to have unexpected twists due to roads closing due to snowfall. Don't worry - the places you have chosen are stunningly beautiful so you may not mind such delays

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
379 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Kashmir and Manali regions are good for photography.

From Delhi you can reach srinagar by flight. Then you can cover srinagar, pahelgam and gulmarg.

Then from srinagar you can reach leh by road from Sonmarg and Kargil. Allocate 12-15 days to Ladakh.

Then you reach manali by leh-manali highway.

I had posted by Ladakh experience at tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297624-i10472-k663… It includes itinerary, places to visit and reviews.

Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

I already have LP India but Ladakh&Kashmir section is not fuly covered as i want to. I am expirenced backpacker, i know to use common sense of precaution on the road and belive me i have stayed in various cheap places in asia (by the way what is YMCA). India is not so cheap place as it use to be so whould you be so kind telling me about daily budget that include hostels or guesthouses,meals in local restaurants,public transport? I can affored 50 U$ a day exclude flights (international&domestic), and maybe a treking tour in Ladakh region . Snow and unpredicted road condition is something that worries me because i will be on vacation and travel dates are fixed so what are the chances to miss my flight if i count on good road condition when returning from Leh to Delhi via Manali?

Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Hi Pratik , what are conections to Sringar from Delhi is there daily flights wich courier and what is the cost of ticket? Would it be rushing to stay in Kashmir a week and what are the places should not be missed in that time frame? You had completly guided , personal tour in Ladakh , how much you payed for it? Have you saw any festival in region , i saw that in June there will be festival 10 km from Leh in one of monestery and Dalai lama will participate it ? Have you done any of treking excursion in Ladakh region that you would recomend?

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Hi Mgtrex

Mr Jabbarwockyindia & Mr Pratik has already guided you nicely

I have been to this region

Make a circular itinery Delhi---Jammu (flight)-- Patnitop-Pahalgam-- Kokernag-Gulmarg-Srinagar-Yusmarg-Srinagar-Sonmarg-Kargil-Zanskar-Kargil- Lamayuru- Alchi- Likir- Nimmu- Leh

From Leh you can cover local monasteries, Nubra,Panamic valley,Pangong,Tsomoriri,Tsokar lakes

Than back to Manali

June & July is peak season time for Ladakh , June is peak season for Kashmir

4 weeks time is good enough for this trip

In Ladakh June festival is Sindhu Darshan, in July Hemis & Phyang festivals

You can check informations on www.leh.nic.in

Kashmir & Ladakh are photographer's paradise

You can read my reviews on ladakh s/s which may help you

India
Level Contributor
233 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

@ Mgtrex ...

YMCA = Young Mens Christian Association. They tend to have good clean safe budget accommodations and are usually run by the church (though open to people of all religions)

To take care of delays due to the snow, a good idea may be keeping a day in hand.

Jammu City, India
Level Contributor
211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Well Suggested by AnilAggarwal

and it may take 3 weeks from Jammu Kashmir Leh Ladhakh Manali Shimla Jim Corbett Park at last delhi drop

Thanks

8. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 14:44
Rijeka, Croatia
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Anil thanks for proposed itinerary, do have time for all those places , should i skip Jammu and take flight to Sringar and cover that area in peace before continuing to Leh?

Jaberwock you have been vary helpful still what can i expect from accomodation, food,transport, if i travel with budget of around 50 U$ ?

Is that by indian standards traveling on low budget ?

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ladakh and Kashmir in June&July

Hi Mgtrex

You can cover places & route already mentioned. This much you can easily see in 4 weeks

You can reach Srinagar by flight, than start your itinery

Yes $ 50 may be less by Indian standards but in Leh this budget will be good

In Leh there are many good guest house like Oriental,Kidar etc