Hello Fellow Travellers!
This is my first trip to Leh Ladakh, accompanying me are 3 others (family and friends). We will be reaching Leh in the last week of September.
I am in the finalizing stages of my itinerary but seem to be in a dilemma with 3 choices.
This is how my itinerary goes:
Day 1 - Arrive Leh - On this day we would like to take complete rest for acclimatization as we are flying in. Overnight in Leh
Day 2 - Leh Sightseeing - Hemis Gompa, Thiksey Gompa. Druk Padma Karpo Institute, Shey Palace, Sindhu Ghat, Shanti Stupa and Tsemo Palace. Overnight in Leh.
Day 3 - Leh – Khardung-la- Nubra Valley, Hunder/Turtuk.
# 1 Dilemma: Overnight at Nubra Valley or Turtuk?
1. Do we drive directly to Turtuk (7/8 hrs. drive)? And the following day spend time at the sand dunes at Hunder, visit Diskit en route to Leh.
2. Tail end of September, will the nights be too cold to stay at the Turtuk Holiday Camp?
3. Does anyone have any other option?
4. If we decide to stay over at Nubra Valley instead, then the next morning can we drive to Turtuk to spend a few hours there and then drive back to Leh via Deskit? Will this be too hectic?
5. Lastly, this option is least favourable for us but if absolutely necessary we can look into it, One night at Turtuk + One night at Hunder, Nubra Valley.
Day 4 - Nubra Valley/ Turtuk – Deskit – Leh
Overnight in Leh
Day 5 - Leh – Chang la – Pangong Tso
If the camps are open then, we plan to spend the night here at one of the Camps, which can provide us with a concrete structure, rather than a tent. Overnight in Pangong.
# 2 Dilemma: Overnight at Lungkung or Spangmik?
I hear both Martsemik Camp at Lungkung (have huts) and Pangong Resort at Spangmik have concrete structure/rooms.
1. Which would you suggest, staying at Lungkung area or Spangmik area, if weather permits, in terms of better views?
2. Is there any other suggestion for accommodation?
Day 6 - Pangong Tso - Chang la- Leh
Overnight in Leh
Day 7 - Leh –Lamayuru – Kargil/Mulbekh
# 3 Dilemma: Overnight at Kargil or Mulbekh?
1. Is it better to stay at Kargil or Mulbekh?
2. I’ve been told that Mulbekh is a prettier place to stay, however I have no idea about accommodation at Mulbekh? Can’t seem to find any?
3. Is there any place you can recommend with website/photographs? Any Hotel/ Camp/ Homestay Villa?
4. Any suggestion particularly for Kargil stay?
Day 8 -Kargil/Mulbekh – Drass – Zoji La – Sonamarg – Srinagar
We stop and visit the famous war memorial
* Is there anything you feel is a must see, that we’re missing in our itinerary? I hope I’ve ticked all the must see boxes with our limited time frame.
* If there are any changes you feel I need to make to the itinerary, please do share.
* Any Hotel, Homestay’s recommended for Leh? Around mid-range. Where you get a true Ladakhi experience, along with a clean and comfortable stay.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Thank you :)