We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

Hello Fellow Travellers!

This is my first trip to Leh Ladakh, accompanying me are 3 others (family and friends). We will be reaching Leh in the last week of September.

I am in the finalizing stages of my itinerary but seem to be in a dilemma with 3 choices.

This is how my itinerary goes:

ITINERARY

Day 1 - Arrive Leh - On this day we would like to take complete rest for acclimatization as we are flying in. Overnight in Leh

Day 2 - Leh Sightseeing - Hemis Gompa, Thiksey Gompa. Druk Padma Karpo Institute, Shey Palace, Sindhu Ghat, Shanti Stupa and Tsemo Palace. Overnight in Leh.

Day 3 - Leh – Khardung-la- Nubra Valley, Hunder/Turtuk.

# 1 Dilemma: Overnight at Nubra Valley or Turtuk?

1. Do we drive directly to Turtuk (7/8 hrs. drive)? And the following day spend time at the sand dunes at Hunder, visit Diskit en route to Leh.

2. Tail end of September, will the nights be too cold to stay at the Turtuk Holiday Camp?

3. Does anyone have any other option?

4. If we decide to stay over at Nubra Valley instead, then the next morning can we drive to Turtuk to spend a few hours there and then drive back to Leh via Deskit? Will this be too hectic?

5. Lastly, this option is least favourable for us but if absolutely necessary we can look into it, One night at Turtuk + One night at Hunder, Nubra Valley.

Day 4 - Nubra Valley/ Turtuk – Deskit – Leh

Overnight in Leh

Day 5 - Leh – Chang la – Pangong Tso

If the camps are open then, we plan to spend the night here at one of the Camps, which can provide us with a concrete structure, rather than a tent. Overnight in Pangong.

# 2 Dilemma: Overnight at Lungkung or Spangmik?

I hear both Martsemik Camp at Lungkung (have huts) and Pangong Resort at Spangmik have concrete structure/rooms.

1. Which would you suggest, staying at Lungkung area or Spangmik area, if weather permits, in terms of better views?

2. Is there any other suggestion for accommodation?

Day 6 - Pangong Tso - Chang la- Leh

Overnight in Leh

Day 7 - Leh –Lamayuru – Kargil/Mulbekh

# 3 Dilemma: Overnight at Kargil or Mulbekh?

1. Is it better to stay at Kargil or Mulbekh?

2. I’ve been told that Mulbekh is a prettier place to stay, however I have no idea about accommodation at Mulbekh? Can’t seem to find any?

3. Is there any place you can recommend with website/photographs? Any Hotel/ Camp/ Homestay Villa?

4. Any suggestion particularly for Kargil stay?

Day 8 -Kargil/Mulbekh – Drass – Zoji La – Sonamarg – Srinagar

We stop and visit the famous war memorial

* Is there anything you feel is a must see, that we’re missing in our itinerary? I hope I’ve ticked all the must see boxes with our limited time frame.

* If there are any changes you feel I need to make to the itinerary, please do share.

* Any Hotel, Homestay’s recommended for Leh? Around mid-range. Where you get a true Ladakhi experience, along with a clean and comfortable stay.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Thank you :)

Leh, India
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

Hello,

This is Manzoor(Travel Agent)Leh Ladakh)

Your itinerary is perfect and necessary changes have been done below

Day 1 - Arrive Leh - Hotel check in-Full days rest-Evening visit Leh Palace and Shanti Stupa. Overnight in Leh.

Day 2 - Leh Local monastery excursion- Sindu Ghat, Shey Palace,Druk Padma Karpo Institute,Thiksey Gompa,Hemis Gompa and Stok Palace. Overnight in Leh.(Gompa is monastery)

Day 3 - Leh – Khardung-la-Diskit-Hunder-Partha-Turtuk.(Nubra Valley)

# 1:If you are going to Turtuk directly better to stay at Turtuk other wise in Hunder.

#2: Better to drive straight to Turtuk and explore Turtuk on that day and next day explore Hunder (Camal Ride)Diskit (Diskit monastery) and back to Leh.

#3:Altitude in Nubra Valley is lower then Leh so will be warmer then Leh but still by end of Sept Early morning, late evening and night will be bit cold.(Temperature will mostly remain between 7 to 15 degrees and between 15 to 25 during day)

#4:If you hold night at Hunder and Turtuk it will be much better as you will get lot of time to explore the valley and also Leh -Turtuk is a trip of 2 nights and 3 days.

Day 5 - Leh – Chang la – Pangong Tso

By 15th Of Sept almost all the camps/Huts get closed so only option left is local home stay and Hotel.

# 1:Should hold a night at Spangmik Village as it is just located at the shore of lake and view is all amazing.

Day 6 - Pangong Tso - Chang la- Leh.Overnight in Leh

Day 7 - Leh –Kargil visiting Patther Shab,Magnetic Hill,Sangam,Lamayuru(Moon Land)Mulbek on the way.

# 1:Better to Hold a night in Kargil and in Mulbek there is almost no proper place to hold a night.

#2:Hotel D,Zojila Kargil

Day 8 -Kargil-Srinagar visiting Drass(Second coldest place of the world)Kargil war memorial ,Tolo Ling,Tiger Hill and Sonmarg on the way.

Good Luck

Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

What will be the temperature in Pangong and Chang la pass?? Planning to travel there around 11th.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

Daytime , in the sun , you'll probably be surprised how warm it is . Often above zero in Leh in to early December. Shell jacket and two layers below is enough in September on a bad day .

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

hi kapseb

very nice suggestions given by mr. manzoor

there are only few stay option in turtuk..

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

Dear Manzoor,

Thank you so much for taking the time out and replying to all my questions.

I am definitely taking all your suggestions/recommendations into consideration.

I wish we had more time in Ladakh but unfortunately we're bound with regards to number of days.

Your advise is much appreciated.

Thank you for your wishes.

Warm regards,

6. Re: Please help with my Ladakh Itinerary and my dillemas!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2015, 05:15