We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel with kids and weather in June

Darwin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel with kids and weather in June

Hi,

We are travelling with our two boys (11 and 6) to China And India - we'll be in India during June - and plan to head up to Leh before heading south to Kerala for houseboats etc.

Can anyone advise:

1) how cold might it get in Leh during June (for clothing)

2) is the Manali - Leh road a better option than flying?

3) what kinds of short treks out of leh could we do with kids? (I have heard you can hire ponies for kids)

Thanks so much...

Kashmir, India
Level Contributor
466 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel with kids and weather in June

In june the weather is good however its always good however its always better to carry the jackets/windcheaters with you.Ponies are always available and take only short teks as you are travelling with with kids.

You should try the Srinagar Leh route(via Kargil) it is indeed a great experience.If you need more information assistance write me<kashmirsgr@yahoo.com>....have a wonderfull trip.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
262 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel with kids and weather in June

In June the temperature at night usually falls to around zero.

If you are considering travelling the Manali to Leh road you should be aware of the effects of altitude sickness.

Altitude sickness is not to be trifled with. Manali is at roughly 2000metres and Leh is at 3500 metres but the highest pass on the road is about 5300m.

Most mountaineering guides advise you to ascend only 500m a day. However the important thing is at what height you actually sleep. A one overnight trip to Leh usually involves sleeping in a tent at Sarchu which is at 4200m and there are many who have spent a horrible night of vomiting, diziness and splitting headaches there.

A more gradual ascent involves a stop at Keylong (ca 3300m) and then a second night at Sarchu. Even this can be a harrowing experience.

The other alternatives are the so called "canonball run" by bus from Keylong in one stretch (20 hours) or the even madder 15 hours in a jeep.

You should read the facts about altitude sickness in the link below provided by the International Society for Mountain Medicine.

Some people argue that it is better to fly into Leh as a long international flight goes some way towards acclimatising the body to altitude. You then of course have to spend a few quiet days in Leh finishing off the acclimatisation.

Darwin
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel with kids and weather in June

Thanks for both of these posts - I am very pleased to hear about the weather (I was worried it would be much colder).

Thanks also for the altitude warnings and the link - I am somewhat convinced to fly to Leh - though I wonder if there isn't an even slower way to travel by road (i.e. not just two nights) so that we can actually acclimatise as we go. But perhaps there are no other places where we can stay for the night, (i.e. to follow the climb high, sleep low advice) in which case I guess we will fly.

As for Srinigar - yes it is very beautiful, I was there in 1989 and count it as one of my favourite memories - though according to government travel advice, it may not be so safe to travel the nearby roads at the present time due to political tensions.

Thanks again.

4. Re: Travel with kids and weather in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 13:17