We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leh tour - few questions

kolkata
7 posts
Save Topic
leh tour - few questions

hi all. i have few questions for all u out there.

1) planning a ladakh tour in first week of june. i have been there once in 2008. but this time would be going with my wife and 1 and a half year old daughter. the baby has no health issues like asthma or similar breathing problems. like last time, we plan to travel through manali. is it safe to go with the baby? quite a few people have said that it would not be a problem at all. do u folks agree?

2) the car fares for the pangong tso lake tor, the nubra valley tour. we will be app 8 people there.

kolkata
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: leh tour - few questions

hi all. i have few questions for all u out there.

1) planning a ladakh tour in first week of june. i have been there once in 2008. but this time would be going with my wife and 1 and a half year old daughter. the baby has no health issues like asthma or similar breathing problems. like last time, we plan to travel through manali. is it safe to go with the baby? quite a few people have said that it would not be a problem at all. do u folks agree?

2) the car fares for the pangong tso lake tor, the nubra valley tour. we will be app 8 people there.

Jammu City, India
Destination Expert
for Kashmir, Srinagar
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: leh tour - few questions

\

Manali - leh road is often closed due to land slide it better to go through from srinagar

Your group required big cab like tempo traveller tata winger

from leh to Pangong 9000

For Nubra Rs 15000 to 16000

for Tso Rs 14000 to 15000

Local mosansteries Rs 3500 to 4000

Edited: 28 December 2011, 12:04
Mentioned in this post
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leh tour - few questions

The road should be open from Srinagar first week in June , could be a problem from Manali. Updates on my blog , http://vistet.wordpress.com

I would definitely not bring a toddler on the Manali-Leh road , with the chances of being stranded the first days around 5000 meters. Use the Srinagar-Leh road instead , make sure you stop overnight in Kargil .

Mentioned in this post
Srinagar
Srinagar
Srinagar District, India
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
kolkata
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: leh tour - few questions

thanx dude. do u think that taking a 1 and a half year old child to ladakh is a good idea?

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leh tour - few questions

With caution it´s doable , although I´m not quite sure what´s in it for a child - I guess meeting camels is a hit for all ages.

Caution starts with not going outside safety guidelines ( http://korta.nu/5c3a ) - this rules out the standard Manali-Leh and Pangong Tso tours.

Mentioned in this post
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
Pangong Tso
Pangong Tso
2,723 Reviews
Leh, India
kolkata
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: leh tour - few questions

dude i have been advised by friends in manali to start giving diamox to the baby from 7 days before the start of the tour. i have been reading materials on diamox for sometime. it says that babys can be given diamox. would that be right?

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,610 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leh tour - few questions

Change friends .. or at least doctor. The only thing you change by starting too early is that you get more side effects. Yes , it´s possible , but giving the correct dose is difficult , you´ll have to start dividing and re-dividing pills. And judging symtoms is near impossible , the only safe assumption is that all symtoms are altitude related . Baby sleeps too much ... AMS . Baby sleeps too little .. AMS. etc. Clearly this is not a call to be made by talking with friends , or me. See a doc .

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leh tour - few questions

lol, yes changing those friends willl be good idea, +1 to what vistet says... Do not consider AMS lightly and see a doctor for sure. Try rule out Manali - Leh out of travel and make only a day trip to Pangong/Tso Moriri and that too as late as possible in your plan...

Also, sometime back I outlined some tips on my blog in the article below with reference to original articles I referred, may be worth a read.

devilonwheels.com/index.php/…

Edited: 30 December 2011, 14:39
Mentioned in this post
Manali
Manali
Manali Tehsil, India
Leh
Leh
Leh District, India
Pangong Tso
Pangong Tso
2,723 Reviews
Leh, India
Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: leh tour - few questions

Discuss this fully with your doctor and follow the doctors instructions to the letter.

AMS can affect anyone regardless of fitness or general health and as vistet says baby can't tell you if they feel ill. I personally would not want to give a child this young diamox.

kolkata
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: leh tour - few questions

thanx dude. i went through your article and would definitely try to follow your advice point by point.

i have a small query regarding carrying oxygen cylinder. as i have seen in my previous journey to ladakh, there are army camps almost every few kms and i was told by the army people, that in most of the camps they have full medical facilities and in larger ones doctors are available round the clock. in fact in my last trip, a lady friend of mine, who is a himachali from simla had to be given oxygen for about half an hour at sarchu before she was actually ready to go further.so is it absolutely necessary to carry a cylinder with us?