We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leh tour - few questions

Which Leh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kolkata
7 posts
Save Topic
leh tour - few questions

hi all. i have few questions for all u out there.

1) planning a ladakh tour in first week of june. i have been there once in 2008. but this time would be going with my wife and 1 and a half year old daughter. the baby has no health issues like asthma or similar breathing problems. like last time, we plan to travel through manali. is it safe to go with the baby? quite a few people have said that it would not be a problem at all. do u folks agree?

2) the car fares for the pangong tso lake tor, the nubra valley tour. we will be app 8 people there.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: leh tour - few questions

Narayan, if you you carry your journey through Srinagar - Leh Highway, spend few days in Leh, Alchi around before going to any high altitude place, keep your body properly hydrated, do not consume alcohal/smoke then of courseyou shall be OK without oxygen cylinder. If you can, it is just an advantage.

Generally, army guys at camps does help people. But, you should not take it for granted at any means.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: leh tour - few questions

I have a number of reservations on the advice in the linked post at # 8 , starting with the dangerous idea of forcing children to drink when they are not thirsty : at best they will vomit ( which will force you to descend ) , at worst they´ll start to develop cerebral edema - either only from water intoxication , or as a mixed result from this and altitude sickness. See for example Peter Hackett ( Everest-climbing doctor and co-author of the CDC altitude advisory ) on this : " Too much water is harmful and can dilute your body's sodium levels (hyponatremia) causing weakness, confusion, seizures, and coma."

The articles quoted ( I´ve recommended and posted the first two links for a number of years ) also don´t really support the conclusions given here .

One base requirement is being familiar with how your child reacts to travel at low altitude : there can´t be much of experience here with a eighteen month old.

Even more important :

"Many preverbal children travel to resorts at 3000 m in North American mountain ranges without complications, but extra caution is required for higher ascents and for ascents in remote areas."

From this perspective , same as the later links , we are talking of extremes here both in altitude and in remoteness : being on the road does not help much when you are stranded in a long line of vehicles near 5000 meters. This was my first experience of the Manali-Leh road , complete with an adult going from projectile vomiting and ataxia , to unconsciousness. The worst case scenario is worse : being stranded for two days at 4500 meters , with one adult dead - like in August 2010. My road advice for adults ( http://korta.nu/sleepless ) comes from this experience and more.

Last note on oxygen : small tanks of even medical grade oxygen provides a false sense of security : they will at extreme best last for an hour or two . This is why they are not used by the army medics in Sarchu & Pang : they use a oxygen generator with max flow five liters per hour instead. PIcture of this in use here : http://vistet.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/pang/

The medics at Sarchu and Pang are excellent , had a long talk with the medic in Pang last time. This doesn´t change that these are first aid posts , nothing more . The full kit apart from the oxygen generator fits in a box under one of the bunk beds. In the other army posts you can´t count on finding anything more than you easily can pack yourself .

For the value of cheap , portable oxygen solutions see here, # 5 and #7 : …wordpress.com/2011/…

Edited: 01 January 2012, 08:39
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: leh tour - few questions

Viset, I know you being a pioneer in this field and the article linked with my blog is just based on precautionary measure. The idea of suggesting liquid is to make sure the body is hydrated. Sometimes, you do not feel or realize thirst but I guess body dehydrates, so it is required that you keep the body sufficiently hyrdrated Of course, it doesn;t mean that one should intake so much that he start peeing every now or then or force his baby puke or all... But, yes point taken! as from reader's perspective it can be thought in that manner too. I will try to highlight it with your reference for sure. Thanks again for making it crystal clear.

In the end, of course, Manali - Leh is not a place to be with your child or infant. And, even with adults symptom are unpredictable but atleast they can tell if there are any.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: leh tour - few questions

Vistet, what particular suggestion or advice you would like to give in any case if someone want to travel via Manali Leh Highway may be on the way back to Manali after doing complete tour in Leh with his child or kid?

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: leh tour - few questions

I´m not suggesting that one should go for dehydration , but the widespread belief that AMS , which ends with excess of fluids in the tissues , can be prevented by pushing in more fluids to the system is a constant source of wonder to me. There was this tragicomic example in a Swedish newspaper recently , from the train to Lhasa. The reporter , who got supplemental oxygen from two sources at the same time , detailed how important it was to drink up to six liters per day (!) to prevent AMS - and how she fought with the impulse to puke with every sip of water.

AMS is not the only situation where you see the idea that water is the great healer being floated , which is why the Swedish medical associations journal published an article by a physiologist titled " Drink When You Are Thirsty - Too Much Water Can Be Lethal"

( It might work to run this thru Google Chrome´s translator : lakartidningen.se/includes/… )

Edited: 02 January 2012, 20:10
kolkata
7 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: leh tour - few questions

hi,

we as a family of 3 adults are planning a trip to gopalpur on sea in orissa on the 14th of april. i would like to know the contact details of hotel "song of the sea" and other similar quality hotels asap. anybody to help me out there?

17. Re: leh tour - few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2013, 09:23