We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

Which Leh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuwait
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

We are 3 ladies flying into Leh end of May. We have contacted tour operators but we are not satisfied with their choice of accommodation - Nature Residency, Noble House, Mandala

As per recommendations from fellow tripadvisors, we will rest on day 1 in Leh. Need recommendation for hotel/GH offering triple room (with 3 single beds not foldaway/pull out sofa). Not looking for high end hotels which are not only limited but may still not guarantee comfort. Just need a comfortable bed and good meals. A scenic view will be an added bonus.

Day 2 - Drive to Pangong Lake and stay overnight at Deluxe Camp at Spangmik village called Whispering Waves.

Day 3 - Drive back to Leh doing only the important attractions on the way and overnight at Leh. Please suggest must-see or must do in Leh

Day 4 - Fly out of Leh

Is this plan good and not hectic considering the acclimatization required in Leh?

Thank you

Delhi
Level Contributor
110 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

The plan looks fine

As regards to Hotels suggest identify where you want to stay and then speak to hotels directly

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

"Day 2. Drive to Pangong Lake and stay overnight at Deluxe Camp at Spangmik village called Whispering Waves."

Second night at 4350 meters , no medication , no oxygen ?? Count on getting sick - it could even kill you.

Kuwait
Level Contributor
53 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

Thank you all for your replies.

Day 1 and 2 will relax to acclimatise. Day 3 we will do only a day tour to Pangong Lake if we are upto it.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

I think you will need longer than two days to acclimatise before going to Pangong Lake on Day 3. You have to cross ChangLA pass which is 5,360m. We did it on Day 4 of our trip and I still wasn't fully acclimatised. Are you committed to visiting ? If not consider a trip to Alchi and Lamayuru instead.

Delhi
Level Contributor
230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

Well I suggest get to Leh first and rest for complete 24hrs/01day and see how you feel and plan ahead accordingly.

High altitude sickness affects people differently, so it depends on person to person and on physical fitness levels a lot.

Drink plenty of water and keep your self well hydrated, never stop for long duration at the highest point or Passes for more then 10 minutes, do not run or exhaust yourself and you should be OK.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

Lot of common misconceptions in the above answers : fitness does not protect you from AMS - if that was the case you´d expect the younger group cope better. The fact is that the 50+ group cope better.

Drinking plenty of water is another popular and contralogical idea . Altitude sickness gives you edema in the brain & lungs , i.e. excess of fluids in the tissues , and pushing in extra fluids in to the system won´t make the situation better - taken far enough it can give exactly the same symptoms as AMS.

The importance of max elevations is also overrated . No one should go higher if feeling unwell , but the cornerstone of acclimatization is that higher day elevations help you acclimatize more efficiently : "climb high , sleep low" . Three nights in Leh , and going over high road passes the second day - not seeing a problem here , as long as OP feels OK when setting out. Bigger issues IMO is flying in without medicating , and not taking the chance of sleeping lower than Leh first night ( i.e. Alchi or Uletokpo )

Good basic AMS prevention info :

ismmed.org/index.php/prevention.html…

http://korta.nu/cdcalt

Delhi
Level Contributor
230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

Dear PRLouis,

The fact is that... you are there in Ladakh only for 04 days and if you keep worrying about all this AMS thing... you will ruin your holiday, so just concentrate on the places you wish to visit and enjoy the vacation..... unless you want to write an exclusive report on High Altitude Sickness.

The important thing to remember is ....upon landing in Leh just give yourself a complete rest. and then see how you feel next morning.. and plan ahead accordingly.

Cheers!!!

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

The flip side to the care free attitude above can be seen every day in the hospital at Leh : lots of visitors on speed tours end up either sucking on oxygen lines in Leh , or retching in tents above 4000 meters. Nearly all of this is completely unneccesary , if one takes five minutes to learn basic safety guidelines , and follow them.

On the really dark side : high speed tours can end very badly , like the Indian tourist that died from pulmonary edema in Pang , August 2010.

9. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 14:38
New Delhi, India
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed on tour and stay in Leh

i want to go leh tour with my wife & two daughters by innova from delhi. suggest me must see and must do in this complete ten day tour. also the good hotels with good veg north indian food and reasonable neat ,comfortable.also tell me delhi manali leh srinagar delhi rout is ok or not