We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Pune
2 posts
Save Topic
Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Friends,

I and my family (4-6 adults and 3 kids) wish to visit Leh in May 2013, and request your help in planning the itinerary and making arrangements. This is low-budget trip (as far as possible) without cutting corners on safety, hygiene and health. No luxury frills required. The tentative plan is as follows -

1) Pune-Bhopal train (11 May). Reach Bhopal 12th morning, stopover for a few hours and pick up other members of family.

2) Bhopal-Jammu train (12 May). Reach Jammu on 13th morning, head straight for Srinangar.

3) Stay in Srinagar from 13-15 May. See places in and around Srinagar.

4) Leave Srinagar for Leh by road (16 May). We have been advised to stopover on the way at Kargil (1 night) and Lamayuru (1 night) for acclimatization. Please suggest if 2 nights are required for acclimatization and if there are better places to spend the night on the way.

5) Arrive in Leh (18 May). Stay in Leh till 22 May.

6) Leave Leh on 22nd May for Manali (if the Leh-Manali road is open) else leave for Srinagar by road.

Need your help/suggestions on the following specific items. More help in terms of recommmendations, alternative plan etc. would be more than welcome.

1. Jammu to Srinagar road travel - options, charges, time taken

2. Will the Srinagar-Leh road be open by 15th May?

3. Must visit places in and around Srinagar (we have 2 clear says)

4. Budget accommodation in Kashmir (Pahelgam, Sonmarg, ......). At least 1 night in a houseboat.

5. Srinagar to Leh road trip - Transport options, charges, contact details of agencies etc.

6. Recommended places to stay spend the night on the way from Srinagar to Leh for acclimatization

7. Must visit places in and around Leh/Ladakh (we have 3 clear says)

8. Recommended places and hotels/lodges/B&B to stay while in Leh/Ladakh

8. Must-see places in and around Manali (should be covered in a day)

9. Will the Leh-Manali road be open by 21st-22nd May?

10. Any other suggestions / recommendations / alternatives

You may also write separately to me at ashkot123@yahoo.com.

Thanks in advance.

Ash

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

I was in Srinagar last year around second week of May and stayed for 2 nights. I would suggest you to stay overnight in Kargil on the way to Leh. We started drive for Leh from Srinagar around 9 am and reached Kargil before dark. Next day we left Kargil in the morning for Leh and it took us about 7-8 hours to reach Leh.

Pune
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Thanks PIKum. It helps. Would also like to know about your stay in Srinagar (where did you stay, how much did you pay, what all did you see etc.), and about your stay and visits in Leh. Did you return to Srinagar by road? Also It would be nice if you could share your contact nos. on my email so that I can talk to you for more details.

Ahmedabad, India
Level Contributor
204 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

My 2-pence worth of thoughts:

1. YES, at least 2nights acclimatization is good. A lovely spot for that is Uletokpo on the Kargil-Leh route.

2. PLEASE spend more days in Ladakh!! Believe me, it will be well worth.

3. Pl plan to stay at least one night on banks of Lake Pangong.

4. Pl visit Lake Tso Moriri on the way from Leh to Manali and plan a night stay there.

For more from my 4 visits (one was 01-18May), pl write direct [vu2pcd at gmail dot com] as I have internet access issues at my home. Take care, be good.... Pradeep.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

We started our trip on 10th May last year and it was full of fun and adventure. Our route was Delhi – Katra (2 nights) – Srinagar (2 nights) – kargil (1 night) – Leh (3 nights) – Keylong (1 night) – Manali (2 nights) – Chandigarh (1 night) – Delhi. Firstly we were thinking to do this in reverse order and called our hotel in Leh to check if Manali-Leh road is opened or not. They told us that it will take another 10 days so we decided to visit katra first.

Leh
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Dear sir,

I would like to suggest you to stay atleast four days in & around Leh .In your itinerary you are travelling too much in jeep and not much time visit the wonders of Ladakh.I will suggest you this Itinerary...

1-Jammu- Katra ( Mata Vaishno Devi)

2-Katra- Shrinagar ( Sieghtseeing in the evening by 4 to 6) in these two hours you can visit some beautiful gardens.

3-Shrinagar-Kargil on the way Sonamarg,Duzila,Drass,

4-Kargil-Leh on the way do visit Lamayuru.

5-Stay calm,just vist around city.

6-Go to visit Pagong lake .

7-Nubra valley vai world highest motorable raod in the world.

visit-Deskit,Hunder,Panamik.

8-Back to Leh.in the after noon go for half day sieghtseeing.

If,you have time come back by Manali otherwise by flight to Delhi.

If,you want any more information do ask 1

6. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 14:47
7. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 14:47
Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Any advice for visiting in July, hopefully driving from Srinigar to Leh.

Jammu City, India
Destination Expert
for Kashmir, Srinagar
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Miss Bess

Its perfect to visit leh by road from srinagar

10. Re: Need help for Srinagar-Leh-Manali trip in May 12-22, 2013

Removed on: 14 February 2013, 15:58