I and my family (4-6 adults and 3 kids) wish to visit Leh in May 2013, and request your help in planning the itinerary and making arrangements. This is low-budget trip (as far as possible) without cutting corners on safety, hygiene and health. No luxury frills required. The tentative plan is as follows -
1) Pune-Bhopal train (11 May). Reach Bhopal 12th morning, stopover for a few hours and pick up other members of family.
2) Bhopal-Jammu train (12 May). Reach Jammu on 13th morning, head straight for Srinangar.
3) Stay in Srinagar from 13-15 May. See places in and around Srinagar.
4) Leave Srinagar for Leh by road (16 May). We have been advised to stopover on the way at Kargil (1 night) and Lamayuru (1 night) for acclimatization. Please suggest if 2 nights are required for acclimatization and if there are better places to spend the night on the way.
5) Arrive in Leh (18 May). Stay in Leh till 22 May.
6) Leave Leh on 22nd May for Manali (if the Leh-Manali road is open) else leave for Srinagar by road.
Need your help/suggestions on the following specific items. More help in terms of recommmendations, alternative plan etc. would be more than welcome.
1. Jammu to Srinagar road travel - options, charges, time taken
2. Will the Srinagar-Leh road be open by 15th May?
3. Must visit places in and around Srinagar (we have 2 clear says)
4. Budget accommodation in Kashmir (Pahelgam, Sonmarg, ......). At least 1 night in a houseboat.
5. Srinagar to Leh road trip - Transport options, charges, contact details of agencies etc.
6. Recommended places to stay spend the night on the way from Srinagar to Leh for acclimatization
7. Must visit places in and around Leh/Ladakh (we have 3 clear says)
8. Recommended places and hotels/lodges/B&B to stay while in Leh/Ladakh
8. Must-see places in and around Manali (should be covered in a day)
9. Will the Leh-Manali road be open by 21st-22nd May?
10. Any other suggestions / recommendations / alternatives
You may also write separately to me at email@example.com.
Thanks in advance.