We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Which Leh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi All,

Doing research on how best to reach Leh from Delhi. Planning a tentative trip during second week of September for 6-7 nights.

So do I take the road from Manali or Srinagar? Flying to Leh seems expensive if I do not opt for a package deal.

If I take the road where do I stay overnight while travelling from Manali or Srinagar.

Any suggestions for stay in Leh? Which accomodation would you recommend? Ladakh Sarai seems interesting due to yurt styled accomodations.

Thanks in advance

121 replies to this topic
Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Dear Sanjeev

We were on Leh trip from 7th Sep to 15th Sep 2012

This time is best for Leh,being off season every thing on discount hotel,taxi.,flight

For September you can get return ticket in july Rs 8000/ to Rs 9000/, best way to reach Leh

Delhi to Leh via Srinagar by road needs 4 days,with halt at Jammu,srinagar,Kargil

Delhi to Leh via Manali minimum 3 days

Srinagar to Leh is better than Manali

Ladakh Sarai is far away from Leh town

If you want to spend that much than Ladakh residency,Druk ladakh

For budget Oriental guest house very good ,its C wing having A class rooms

Pune, Maharashtra...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hello Anil,

you said Srinagar to leh is better than manali. can you explain why you think this? i am planning to visit leh - ladakh from 8th-23rd august

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Dear MandarPande

Acclimatisation is better on Srinagar-Leh route as height of passes is less,so gradual increase in altitude as compared to Manali-Leh route

Pune, Maharashtra...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

ok we are planning to go via manali-leh route, and we will be using rented vehicles can you guide us what should be good 1 day or 1 halt at sarchu? and if halt what are the facilities available and how we can book it ?

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
4,445 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Sleeping altitude is the key factor in altitude sickness . This makes planning the highest night in your life in the beginning of your trip a bad idea : don't sleep in Sarchu coming directly from Manali.

http://korta.nu/sleepless

6. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2014, 14:44

Delhi
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi Pradeep,

My friend and I are planning a trip to Ladakh between 8th and 18th August. We are planning to take a train from Delhi to Jammu. Thereafter we plan to go to Ladakh from Jammu via road. What do you think about the journey from Jammu to Ladakh. Or shall we go to Srinagar and then go to Ladakh via road. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Dear Ma03851

No problem in going to Leh from Jammu

Which places you want to see enroute

What is your departure plan from Leh to Delhi

Delhi
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your reply. Now we going to Srinagar from Delhi. Then we would go to Leh via road.

May I ask your suggestions in (a) How should we plan our trip; (b) What places we should cover; and (c) Good hotels to stay in.

We would have 10 days for our trip

Thank you again for your help.

Kurukshetra, India
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to reach Leh from Delhi

Dear Ma03851

Reaching Srinagar by air is good option

Are you interested in Kashmir s/s like Pahalgam,Gulmarg etc

What is your departure plan of Leh-Delhi