We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

I want to go from Panaji to Hampi. I prefer 1class train or bus, or car.

What is the best route?

How long does it take?

What do you recommend I see along the way?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

Hi

I went last year around this time and took a train. It took about 7 hours but you leave from a station at Madgaon that is about 40 mins drive from Panjim. The one spectacular thing along the way was a waterfall that could be seen on the left side of the train (if you are facing the front of the train). It was really beautiful - otherwise the train stations along the way looked a bit dire really. Not sure about bus or car since the train when through some very mountainous terrain and I dread to think what an Indian road trip would be like through that sort of landscape :)

However, Hampi is worth it and had very few tourist around this time. An early morning visit is recommended - it is so quiet and a bit eerie but stunning.

Hope this helps.

London,UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

We went from Panjim to Hampi overnight by bus last year in December and it took approx 12 hours. Very bumpy ride.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

Thanks for the info!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

What is the best route by car with a driver? How long does it take? How far is it?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
86 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

What is the best route by car with a driver? How long does it take? How far is it? I am allowing 2 days and one night? What do you propose for itinerary?

Along the way I would like to visit:

Ponda: nearby Tropical Spice Farm or Sahakari Spice Farm, Shri Shantadurga Temple

Loutolim: Figueiredo Mansion, Ancestral Goa

Chandor: Braganza House, Fernandes House, Palacio do Deao, Ancestral Goa

6. Re: Panaji (Goa) to Hampi: train?, car?, bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 22:16