We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Hello All-

I will be in Bangalore in July and was hoping someone from that area can help me decide if I am cutting my timeline to close, due to traffic.

Here's my question...I am getting off a train in Bangalore at 7:50am and setting up a flight out of Bangalore at 10:00a. Is traffic so bad that I will not be able to get from train station to airport (for domestic flight) in 1 hour or so?

Thanks so much for any advice.

bangalore
Level Contributor
34 posts
1. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Hi and yes, you will be cutting it too fine.

Firstly, trains in India are seldom on time. Where will you be arriving from? If its from somewhere in the south, budget for a 1 hour delay. If you're getting off at Bangalore Cantonement, it will be about 90 mins to the airport. If its Bangalore City Junction give 2 hours. Traffic aside, the new airport is pretty far out.

Indian security regulations require that you check in one hour prior to scheduled departure for domestic flights.

All adding up, I suggest you fly out of Bangalore post noon or get a train with a scheduled arrival no later than 6 am to catch your 10 am flight.

Cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

tenrupees, just to ask you to amplify your answer, what are the transport options between the Cantt railway station and the new airport? I recall that when I was there back in 2004 (when they had the OLD airport, which wasn't too far out) there were buses plying between the airport and the city. Does this still apply to the new airport, and if so, which bus routes do the job? Or is there a local train?

Thanks for the help, and, TravelGirl0212, sorry for hijacking your post!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Alan J:

Hey if it's helpful info to a fellow traveller, feel free to "highjack my post"! Hope you get good info.

TravelGirl0212

bangalore
Level Contributor
34 posts
4. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Alan J-the Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corp. (BMTC) is introducing dedicated shuttle services called "vayu vajra" to the new airport from all parts of the city. One of these routes will most certainly pass cantt or a bus stop close to it. The routes have not been announced as yet, but as soon as it is I will let you know.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
15 reviews
5. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

The new airport is opening this Friday, and things should have more clarity very soon. They are talking about shuttle buses offering drops at specific points and linking up with cabs from those points to one's final destination, at this time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Many thanks, tenrupees and GJO1314; I didn't realise that the new airport was just about to open.... I will be happy to wait until I hear again when everything settles down.

My map of Bangalore shows quite an involved railway network, one line of which seems to go quite close to where the new aiprort is, apparently, situated (Devanahalli); I guess, therefore, even if the shuttle buses aren't established by August, we can always get a cab at the airport and ask to be taken to the closest railway station... should save us a bit of money compared to the whole 30km journey.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

The problem is that the trains may not run at convenient times, so I would not consider it a viable option. It's a real pity that with the railway line running so close to the near airport they weren't able to get their act together and have high speed dedicated rail links in place by now. Maybe this will happen after our time!

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

My son is coming in on Sunday early in the morning from Milan( via Dubai) and I should be able to shed some light on this after he comes.

bangalore
Level Contributor
34 posts
9. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Hi AlanJ - the routes have been announced by BMTC.

If you are getting off at Bangalore City Station, there is a direct shuttle to the Airport from Kempegowda bus stand which is across the road. A ticket will cost you between Rs 80 and Rs 120 per person. BMTC claims that the journey will be 1 hour and 15 mins, though I suspect this is very optimistic- give yourself 2 hours.

If you are getting off at Bangalore Cantt, the nearest stop on the airport shuttle is Windsor Manor, which should be about 15 mins away by cab. The price of the ticket remains that same-the jourbey should be about an hour.

The shuttle tickets can be booked over the internet on www.viaworld.in.

I also remember reading somewhere that the feeder cabs to the shuttle bus stops can be booked online, which means that you could even book your cab from Cantt to the shuttle bus stop online. I'll let you know...cheers

Bangalore
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Bangalore Train Station to Airport

Info from my son who came in early this morning is that the new airport is modern and clean, but baggage took an hour to come through the conveyor-each and every bag is x-rayed and then loaded, and the bus transport system doesnt work as it is supposed to-he was planning to come on Route No3, but was told that there was no bus on that route. He took a cab and had to pay a 50% surcharge at 4 AM. Bottom line, things will take some time to fall into place-not a big deal considering how many years it took for the airport to become reality!

I think that during daylight hours things should be better.