We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

San Jose CA
Level Contributor
67 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

My husband is being sent to Bangalore for two weeks by his company, and I am considering going with him. I have never been to India before and will be alone during the days, though I think I will have his driver at my disposal. I also think that I will be able to find things to do, but is it safe for me to be on my own in Bangalore? I am a 60 year old blonde, and I don't want to do anything criminally stupid, so suggestions and input from experienced travelers is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

Bangalore is fairly safe, though the traffic, road conditions and air pollution along certain areas is very bad.

There are still nice leafy avenues, large parks, a few good galleries,and a few heritage buildings worth taking in. Lots of places to visit in the vicinity too.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

As a woman living in Bangalore, I'd say it is relatively safe, as long as you don't venture out alone after about 9 pm, if using public transport. However, if you do have a driver you can trust, there is nothing to worry on that front.

You just need to keep your bag safe, to avoid attracting pickpockets and avoid wearing chunky gold jewellery (there are stray incidences of chain-snatching). That being said, it's not as though there are pickpockets and chain-snatchers lurking everywhere but these are precautions we usually take. As a blond woman, you might attract more attention than us and may be approached by salesmen, beggars or touts. Just don't encourage them and walk on.

Have a great time in Bangalore! Let me know if there are any other specific questions you had in mind.

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
463 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

Hi,

Bengaluru is relatively a safe city in India with a vibrant cosmopolitan & expats culture.

Since you will have a vehicle with a driver,you can explore the city at your own pace.Still,as in any growing city,Safeguard yourself against going out alone in desolate stretches,avoid wearing or flashing expensive jewellery.Never venture out alone during late nights.Bengaluru's night life shuts down by 11:30 PM.

Mentioned in this post
Bengaluru
Bengaluru
Bangalore District, India
Milford, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

HI - I was in Bangalore 5 different times and alone for part of those stays (and blonde if that really matters). I never felt uncomfortable or unsafe. You may get stared at but it's just because people are curious. Be mindful of your belongings and keep them close by.

I liked to visit Commercial Street, MG Road and The Forum Mall. There is a new mall in Bangalore with upscale stores like Louis Vuitton but I forget the name of it. If you want touristy, there is a Hard Rock Cafe.

Where are you staying? If you are at the Leela Palace, they have a nice SPA and I loved the pool.

Good Luck and have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Commercial Street
Commercial Street
984 Reviews
Bengaluru, India
The Leela Palace Bengaluru
The Leela Palace...
2,251 Reviews
Bengaluru, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,803 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

If you have a couple of weekends where your husband is also free, you can do an overnight trip to Mysore, taking in Ranganathittu as well as Srirangapatnam. For another weekend, Belur/Halebid is an option.

During weekdays, when he is working, you can go to Bannerghatta national park, or do a local city tour. Read this page for local attractions to see: http://www.karnatakatourism.org/Bangalore/en

Bangalore has lots of art galleries and theatre events. I would highly recommend buying Timeout Bangalore http://www.timeoutbengaluru.net/ it is a great way of finding out what is happening in the city (usually a lot is happening). The shopping is actually very good, especially little boutiques and craft stores and fabric stores. Timeout lists new shops as well as a pubs and it's a great way to get the "heartbeat" of the city.

Mentioned in this post
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysuru (Mysore)
Mysore District, India
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
monroe
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

my daughter is going to Bangalore, with hr 5 month old daughter, the baby's daddy is from there, they are not married, I'm concerned about my daughter and my grand baby's safety, and will my daughter have any problem bring the baby back to America where she was born..what are the laws and how will my daughter be treated, they are not married..what if he tries to keep the baby there..

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,502 posts
463 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

You may have to consult a legal expert for the intricacies of this issue.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

Hi..linda

Bangalore is a decent and safe city..no issue of safety..follow common sense only..never roam alone after 10pm there on streets of either clubs..as bangalore have a very light night life..

Take a trusted guide recommended by your hotel with you if you wish to visit any place..wear cloth which can cover you better I mean not much revealing..with little effort regarding safety you can stay in bangalore very easily..

Nice places, gardens, historical monuments around..UB city mall is a must visit mall in bangalore..

Have a nice time there

Mentioned in this post
Bangalore District
Bangalore District
Karnataka, India
UB City
UB City
2,509 Reviews
Bengaluru, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

A little amendment in my previous post.. That message was for SJtraveler

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
640 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for woman alone in Bangalore

Hi linda..

Passport isn't an issue for an infant baby..you have to buy the ticket only for baby.. But do consult with the legal advisor regarding this..

Just before few months me and one of my friend from london with his family (a wife and 4 months old baby) went to DR Congo from mumbai airport..immigration havn't demanded any passport or document regarding my friend's baby..

But I do recommend for consultation..as rules may be different for different countries..

In india people respects mothers a lot..so no problem for your daughter to stay here with her baby ..bangalore is a well developed city..so anyone can easily get baby product anywhere..