We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

Which Bengaluru hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Zuienkerke, Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
420 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

I will go on a trip to Bangalore in July, and I did some reading, and found out that not far from Bangalore, there is the town of Channapatna.

I would very much like to visit some shops and maybe a factory. My questions are, do you need to book before you go to visit a factory, or can you just go by for a visit?

Further, I would like to buy some wooden toys, are there a lot of shops there, and what are the common prices for wooden toys (for instance for a wooden turtle on wheels you can see so much on the internet)? Between which prices do they vary?

And also, how much time should I take for the visit of this town? Or could I combine it with another visit? And what would you recommand than?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,837 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

One of the people who has been working in Channapatna is Atul Johri. dnaindia.com/entertainment/1604071/report-ch… will give you some background.

Maybe a good idea to get in touch with him in advance.

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

Hi,

Channapatna is 60 kms & will take an hours drive from Bengaluru.

It is on the highway to Mysore.

The entire town is dotted with handicrafts & wooden toy factories & stores.You can walk into any of these.

Make sure that you buy the locally made genuine wooden toys & not the Chinese toys which are being sold in many of the stores.

Rates vary depending on the type of toys & handicrafts.

You can visit Mysore too,which is around 80 kms ahead on the same highway.

Rgds

Deepak.

Zuienkerke, Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

Dear Deepak,

thank you so much for the reply. How do you make the distinction between the Chinese toys and the Indian ones? Is this somehow mentioned (like a made in china label), or does this show in quality of finishing and price?

Also I was looking out to go to the Shivanasamudra Falls, is this do-able in 1 day-trip? Any tips for that?

Thanks a lot!

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

Hi Tom,

The Chinese toys are mostly machine made & clearly marked as made in china & many of the shopkeepers admit to the same too.Channapatna toys are hand made & you can make out the difference.

Channapatna to Shivanasamudra falls is 70 kms .On Mysore road,beyond Channapatna,in Maddur,turn left on to Malavalli road & it leads to Shivanasamudra.You can visit Gagana chukki & Bara chukki Falls & also Ranganathaswamy temple.You can also club Talakadu which is 30 kms. away.

You can start from Bangalore early morning & reach Shivanasamudra first,if possible Talakadu & then reach Channapatna on your way back,which is the ideal route & suits the timings too,since the shops & factories open a bit late.

Rgds

Deepak.

Zuienkerke, Belgium
Level Contributor
27 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

great info, thanks a lot!

6. Re: Visit Bangalore - trip to Channapatna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 05:17