We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

Dear Advisor,

I have plans to travel on my new swift car from Bangalore - Cochin for the very first time to Cochin, but not the 1st time to Kerala. I am an expert driver.

Kindly advice me about the road, safety & direction as both ways i ll be driving at night. I am not sure if the Bandipur & other forest routes ll keep opened for vehicles at night, Hence kindly suggest a suitable route.

Thanks & Regards -

Umesh Patil

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

Bangalore to Cochin is typically done in two ways, Via Salem / Coimbatore or Via Bandipur. The first route is slightly longer, but faster because there are no hill areas in between.

I guess Bandipur forest roads are closed in night (except for few buses), from that perspective also, taking the Salem route is a better option.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

i just saw an suggestion thread on TEAM BHP, Mr.KPH says actually can avoid Salem after Dharmapuri which leads directly to Bhavani passing through Mettur itseems, cross checked in google map,found it shorter skipping Salem after Dharmapuri,

however most of the related threads posted in TEAM BHP are back in 2004 & later.

So its a long way ago, roads now are changed both way, good & bad. Difficult to judge.

I personally love to drive in the forest zone, like Mysore Bandipur, Madumalai National Park, its thrilling route.

Just need a confirmed information about the gates open in night for vehicles between forest. Could be very helpful.

Appreciate Mr.idiscoverindia_nagac for your iniate on my post.

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

Hi,

Pvt vehicles are generally not allowed in the Bandipur/Nagarhole section during nights.

Bengaluru-Coimbatore- Cochin is an excellent stretch of toll road upto Coimbatore,but beyond Coimbatore the road gets narrow into a single lane,without a median & is risky to drive during nights.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

Yes Deepak, bangalore coimbatore cochin. Full of toll roads, any idea about the TOLL expense? i think might just comes upto 1500/- for one way drive?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

While driving to Coimbatore from Bangalore, you can skip almost all cities, even Salem. No need to enter the city of Salem (Just to clarify my earlier post :)

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

clarifying my 1st reply to ur post, yes i ve mentioned on how we can skip salem and reach directly to bhavani via mettur.

i dont know how to skip all the cities until coimbatore.

kindly advice.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

I appreciate when some one can respond the suggestion in one post itself in detail as no pint just keeping it to ourself and saving it for next post.

by this practice we can be useful for some one who views this post and decide faster. rather stretching for several pages & building up confusions in mind.

Points to be remembered while advising - cost effective useful ideas if knowing the information and sharing it effectively & by not creating a suspense.

Mr.idiscoverindia_nagac would you mind to share the routes on how to avoid the cities which i sense totally avoiding the TOLL until Coimbatore.

Thank You

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
304 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

@UMIVID

I said "Skip Salem" in the sense you don't have to go inside the city, Not from toll perspective

If you want to avoid all tolls, it may be a slightly difficult / longer route, I have seen a friend take the below route (I haven't personally taken it), But this friend is a fantastic driver, He tried this one year back, just to see if it is possible to avoid tolls till Coimbatore. Not sure if anything changed after that.

Also, if you are taking this route in the night, note that some of these roads may not be well maintained. My friend wanted me to convey this to you too :)

1. Bangalore : Hosur (Not the regular high road, there is another route which avoids the toll in between via Attibele, TVS Nagar)

2. Hosur to Palakodu

3. Palakodu to Pennagaram

4. Pennagaram to Mechari

5. Mechari to Mettur

6. Mettur to Ammapettai

7. Ammapettai to Andhiyur

8. Andhiyur to Sathy

9. Sathy to Coimbatore

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
4,227 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

Hi,

Bengaluru-Cochin via Coimbatore toll expenses was exactly Rs.863.00 a couple of months back & there could be minor revisions now.

10. Re: Bangalore to Cochin (Kochi)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17