We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about Kerala

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me about Kerala

Just returned from Goa and loved every minute after the inital culture shock.

We are planning to go back to India for our silver wedding anniversary next year and kerala is an option.

I have read some reviews and am a bit confused about the alcohol laws. In Goa you could drink alcohol on the beach,but one review I read said it didn't happen in Kerala. Can anyone advise me, also information about any small hotels, beaches etc. Thanks in advance.

Mirfield, England
Level Contributor
494 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about Kerala

Kerala is supposed to be a dry state although we found alcohol is freely sold in most shacks. It is disguised by being served in mugs and the bottles have to be hidden under the table so therefore it is not possible to openly advertise it by allowing drinks to be served on the beach. If you want a drink at all you have to go drink in the shack and not on your sunbed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about Kerala

Just got back last Friday. We were served beer on the beach (the bottle was covered in newspaper) and saw alcohol on pretty much every menu in every restaurant that we went in to. Apparently, it's not that it's a dry state, only that it's very expensive to get a license to sell alcohol. Therefore, most restaurants will sell it to you illegally. I'm sure there is some 'pay off' happening with the police because it is pretty blatant.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about Kerala

Kerala is not a dry state. However restrictions apply to sale and consumption of liquor. Any place that is hiding their liquor (as mentioned by BrenLiz) is obviously not licensed.

As far as consumption is concerned the law is clear - you can drink in an enclosed space. No beaches etc.

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about Kerala

Thanks for all your replies, I don't mind going to a beach shack for a drink if thats how its done, I just got the impression that alcohol wasn't served on the beach/beach shack.

Brenliz, I am very interested in the Jasmine palace which you have witten a really good report on. I am looking to go Dec2008 for our silver wedding. Any info on the christmas/new year period in kerala would be welcome.

5. Re: Tell me about Kerala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 07:19