We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria tablets?

Devon
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria tablets?

Hi can anyone advise me on the status of malaria in Kerala. We are travelling mid September and would like to do the backwaters etc just wondered if this posed a higher risk? Trying to avoid anti-malarials as we would like to try for a baby around this time too and I understand that these need to be out of your system for a few months first, equally don't want to put myelf at risk either.

Mant=y thanks for any help.

saddleworth
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria tablets?

According to the NHS sites it's malaria free. We're just back and the mozzies were a problem at night so cover up and slap on the preventative - they just love ankles.

hertford
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria tablets?

Hi as stated

low risk for malaria in Kerala so you ought to be fine...best thing is to be avoid being bitten. We have been advised we dont need them so good luck with the holiday and everything else !!!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria tablets?

Differing views and positions here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k324…

Dublin
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria tablets?

Read the side effects of anti-malaria tablets and you can see they are almost worse than the illness. Sucidial depression anyone. According to the WHO you are more lightly to get malaria in Japan than you are in India/Kerala.

Mozzies are definitely a problem but buy a couple of different insect repelants (some are useless) and use the one that works best for you.

Nice place ...was there 2 years ago.

Edited: 26 February 2010, 13:41
Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria tablets?

Most extreme side effects are extremely rare, where as the effects of Malaria aren't rare they're pretty consistant.

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria tablets?

As a health professional I'm bound by laws of cofidentiallity; but I can speak in general terms and I can say, with MUCH authority, that the symptoms of malaria are definately FAR worse than ANY transient side effects from anti-malarials. Most side effects from anti-mlarials can be avoided when taking the likes of Malarone - and whilst I acknowledge that these are more expensive - I have to ask - what price do you put against your health?

If you are spending the money to travel to distant parts, please, please, please take sensible precautions - and NO - that does not mean simply using mosquito repellant!

Kovalam, India
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria tablets?

Hi

Best advice is to go and see your doctor/nurse. They will be able to tell you if and what you should take. they will also be able to check that you vaccines are up to date.

Regards

Paul

Happy Children's Home - Helper

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria tablets?

Hi N8Oaty

You would need to research this, but to the best of my knowledge anti-malaria pills do not protect you from dengue fever. You already know the problems with the side effects of these pills, so I can just add that when Traveltom & I were in Sri Lanka a couple of months ago, and each time we've travelled around India, we haven't had any mozzie problem. Once only we had to use the super mozzie spray with deet, which I figured was much better than having the chemicals from the pills in our systems.

Having said that, you really do need to decide what's best for you so that you don't spoil your wonderful holiday by worrying about 'what ifs'.

Travelkat

Delhi
Level Contributor
726 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria tablets?

No one in India uses any anti malaria tablets. No point in pumping your body full of chemicals and suffer side effects.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
16,523 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria tablets?

Hey Gurgaon

Good on you! I must confess to being constantly amazed by the number of people, mostly from UK, writing to TA worrying about having to have innoculations and take pills. Basic hygiene, logic and common sense prevails over all these things and it's always better to avoid having loads of chemicals in your system, as you say.

Not to worry, we'll both get slaughtered for having said so. Put on your flak jacket.

Traveltom & I travel regularly all over asia, india, egypt and so on, have never had any innoculations, don't take pills and have never been sick. Not once - well, yes, once. Poor old Traveltom got a nasty dose of the need to be close to the big porcelain phone when we were on the cruise boat on the Nile. Seems he ate the salad, which we all know is not the wisest thing to do as he discovered.

Travelkat