We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electric sockets

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Electric sockets

I've bought a new camcorder to take with me on my tour of Kerala. I've heard the electricity supply is a a bit dodgy, can anyone tell me whether it would be safe to charge my batteries using a regular world travel adapter? I've also read that both round pin and square pin sockets are common in the better hotels, can anyone advise? Thanks.

Just Taxi Holidays
Multi-day Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Cochin Private Tours
City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Coco Tree Holidays
City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electric sockets

You can always get a spike guard for about Rs500 for preventing sudden spikes in the voltage but it would be safer to use a voltage stabiliser if your hotel has one. I doubt if it would be a problem in the big cities of Kerala, only in the smaller towns that there may be an electricity problem. You can always ask when there is a black out (non availability of electrical power) timing in some places where it goes off at certain predetermined timings. Otherwise it should be alright to charge your batteries without much of a problem. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Aadil.

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Electric sockets

Thanks astroaadil - that's really helpful.

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Electric sockets

You shouldn't have too much of a problem for just charging batteries. A regular adaptor should be okay and they are also readily available here. Note that most surges in voltage happen when the power goes back on after a power outage...so it's best to unplug your charger during an outage and wait for the power to come back on. Big hotels generally will have backup power generators so there are no interuptions in service...however, smaller hotels won't necessarily have this. Generally, most power outs happen during the hot season when there is the biggest drain on electricity, and during monsoon when storms create problems.