We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

We are thinking about flying into Kochi from Delhi after an international flight so will be a bit jet lagged at first - travel during 3rd week of December. We are 2 adults with 2 boys (ages 10 and 14). Budget mostly 4 star - could swing one 5 star stay.

Areas and acitivities of interest include:

Fort Kochi, Palace

Houseboat (day or overnight?)

Elephant ride (request by my 10 yo)

Munnar

Not including beach in our itinerary as we have recently vacationed at a fabulous beach resort in Mexico and the waters seem a bit rough for safe bathing.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Mumbai (Bombay), New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

Here's a plan:

Day 1 - Arrive from Delhi, transfer to Allepey/Kpttayam (1.5 hrs)

Day 2 - Allepey activities and day cruise on houseboat

Day 3 - Drive to Munnar (4 hrs), sightseeing

Day 4 - Munnar sightseeing (there are elephant rides there)

Day 5 - Drive to Cochin (4 hrs). Evening Kathakali performance.

Day 6 - Cochin sightseeing and fly out

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

Thanks Deepa! Do day cruises in houseboats need to be booked in advance? I'm a bit concerned in case our international flight is delayed. We arrive into Delhi in the evening around 9:45 so had planned on staying overnight at a nearby hotel and then flying out - on travelocity I see flights at around 6 am and 1 pm for nonstops - what types of activities are there at

Aleppey other than the houseboat?

I had also thought about Trichur to fulfill the elephant request and the waterfalls but seems too hectic to fit that in.

Cochin
Level Contributor
369 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

Deepas itinerary is Very Good. You can check out this also.

Day 01 Arrive from Cochin Transfer to Kochi. Evening Kathakali performance.

Day 02 Drive to Munnar (04 Hrs)

Day 03 Munnar Sight seeing.

Day 04 Drive to Alleppey .Overnight at House Boat.

Day 05 Drive to Guruvayoor (03.5 hrs ) with Elephant Kotta and Guruvayoor Temple Visit .

Day 06 Drive to Cochin airport. (2 hrs)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

If you're arriving that late at night, stay at an airport hotel. There's one called Lotus just at the airport with free transfers. I stayed there and would rate it as a simple basic hotel with decent breakfast. There's an Abad hotel nearby if you want a better one. Then in the morning after breakfast, you can go to Allepey (1.5 hrs). The airport is an hour away from Cochin, so it makes no sense to transfer there.

Cochin
Level Contributor
369 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

If you are arriving late then Deepas will be the better option .But if you are looking for good hotels Cochin will be better .From Cochin to Airport is only 2 hrs

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

I just realised that you said you are arriving into Delhi at 9:45 p.m., I wrongly understood this to be arrival in Cochin at 9:45 p.m. I apologise.

So - at Delhi, you can stay somewhere close to the airport, and then next morning you can take the 6 am flight to Cochin. In which case, my first itinerary where you drive straight to Allepey on arrival works fine.

To answer the other parts of your question:

If you are arriving in 3rd week of December, it is peak season and it would be better to book everything beforehand; including hotels and houseboat cruise (esp if overnight cruise). Good boats get sold out quickly and you'll be left with the not-so-good ones. It doesn't matter so much on a day cruise, I suppose. Still, my personal preference is to have it all sorted out and not worry after arriving.

Activities in Allepey - depending on where you are staying, you can take smaller canoes and go exploring the little backwater lanes, it's quite nice. You can go for a village walk, and see agriculture (paddy), shops and daily life. You can take a boat and go out to dine at another resort. Allepey is itself a historic town and has churches, temples etc. If you are at a homestay some of them offer cuisine trails, spice walks etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

One more thought - I included Munnar because I continue to read about it being a highlight of Kerala and we have never been to a hill station in India. However, are we using our time wisely with the 4 hr drive there and back? Would we still get a good Kerala experience staying closer in to Cochin?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,156 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

Check out Rainforest Athirapally and see if it works for you.

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

You could include Munnar with out backtracking.

Check out this which includes limited time on travel.

2 nights in Fort Kochi.

2 nights in Periyar - Spice plantations, wildlife

2 nights in Munnar

2 nights in a parambikulam Tiger reserve

2 nights in Trichur - Day with elephant Bullock cart trip, temple festival with elephants etc.

1 night in the backwaters of Trichur. - Fly 2 hours to kochi airport.

Day with elephant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3fV2GuONzo

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Help from Kochi - 5 to 6 days

Here is a link to the elephant ride in Munnar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0TLRBlqYPM

Amusing.