We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Achievable or not?????

La Mole, France
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Achievable or not?????

I'm frustrated and hoping for an answer. I just need to know if my thinking is achievable or not and not rushed. I want to head out from Cochin early morning on 18th Nov and travel down to Trivandrum but still seeing places along the way. Could I do this in one day or would I need to stop somewhere for a night as well as a night in Trivandrum??. I need to be back in Cochin late on the 23rd but after Trivandrum, I want to head to Thekkady for two nights making sure I have at least two full days there. Should I scrap the idea of getting down to Trivandrum and only go half way??. I should have no problem getting a bus from Trivandrum to Thekkady?? Any help/suggestions really appreciated. Thanks

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Achievable or not?????

Cochin to Trivandrum is around 225 kms / 4 - 5 hrs drive only. If you are going by a car you can see the places on the way.

If you wish to go Thekkady, no need to come back Cochin, plan as Trivandrum to Kumarakom (190 kms) - stay one night - then next day leave to Thekkady (145 kms).

India
Destination Expert
for Shimla, Manali, Kashmir, Shillong, Sikkim, Uttarakhand, Puri, Darjeeling, Kolkata (Calcutta), Himachal Pradesh, Srinagar, Dalhousie, India, Ladakh, Leh
Level Contributor
35,368 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Achievable or not?????

1 night in Thekkady will be enough. The Lake Safari will take 2-3 hrs.

Edited: 20 September 2010, 08:03
Cochin
Level Contributor
369 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Achievable or not?????

Definitely you can try from Trivandrum to Thekkady .It will take nearly 6 hrs drive .Trivandrum - Kesavadasapuram -Kottarakkara - Pattamamthitta - Ranni -erumeli-Mundakkayam- Kuttikkanam - Thekkady

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Achievable or not?????

Yes you can do, no problem. Don drive in an Ambassador as it really slows the drive unless it is a new one with a bigger engine. You should stop on the way down south of Kollam for a walk around.

Cochin
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Achievable or not?????

Hi Bellifontaine,

Seems there are two questions to be answered here. One - should you really make it all the way from Cochin to Trivandrum? Two - if at all you travel to Trivandrum, how should you be getting back to Thekkady?

For the first part, it depends upon what you expect in Trivandrum. It's a mini town in global standards, with a lots of heritage driven destinations - palaces, museums etc. Down from there you have the traditional Kovalam beach. Now, traveling from Cochin to Trivandrum makes some sense (given that you hahve a tight schedule) ony if you stay in Kovalam for a night or two. If not, better you skip the stretch after Alleppey/Kumarakom, settle down in backwaters or a day or so and proceed to Thekkady from there.

For the second part, the trip from Trivandrum to Thekkady could be tiring. It takes anything between 6 to 7 hours. Not too sure about the buses from Trivandrum directly to Thekkady. Even if you get KSRTC buses (Government buses), you might have to interchange couple of them to reach the destination - adding up to the travel time. Hiring a cab would be the better option.

Happy Kerala Trails!!

Team tennderGreens Holidays

6. Re: Achievable or not?????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 05:46