We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kerala advice

Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Kerala advice

I am a regular visitor to Goa and as we plan to book independently I'm thinking about using Kerala as a base next year as flights to Kerala from newcastle are so much cheaper than to Goa. I'm hoping for advice on a number of points (thanks)

1. If we land at Kochi airport , what would be a good resort ,within distance of the airport, with a beach available to chill out for a couple of days before moving on?

2. If we want to travel from Kochi to Margao in Goa how long will it take by train, how much do tickets cost (not necessarily first class) and how easy is it to get tickets whilst in Kerala (maybe within 72 hours of travel?)

3. We are thinking about going in the last week of November. What is the weather normally like? I know it will probably be warm/hot but is it generally sunny?

4. I understand that there may be alcohol restrictions. How easy will it be for my partner to get a glass of wine with her evening meal?

Thanks in advance

Ian

India
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kerala advice

Ans 1 : I am not an expert on Kerala therefore I shall skip the 1st question

Ans 2 : Travel time between Cochin to Margao is in the range of 12-15 hours and the fare is Rs 827 (usd 18) and Rs 1137 (usd 25) for 3rd AC and 2nd AC resp.

Booking the tickets about 72 hours in advance under the 'Tatkal' (meaning 'instant' in hindi) scheme can be best termed as a tricky feat, November is not high season time; however, the routes are in high demand and the tickets allotted under tatkal quota vanish within maybe 10-20mins of commencement of the booking at 8 am. If I were you , I would book the tickets well in advance and not leave the task to the skills of an agent who has to be quick and skillful to get the tickets in the first few minutes after the clock strikes 8am.

But as I said, November is not a peak season and getting a ticket within 72 hours should be realistically possible without too much anxiety.

Ans 3. Kerala and Goa shall be in the range of 24-32C during the day & 14-20C during the nights. Sunny? Most certainly!! :-)

Ans 4 : Getting a glass of wine should be pretty much easy. Alcohol restrictions are few and the ones that are there are rarely imposed for hotels. Besides, I reckon you shall put up at a decent resort ,so it will not be an issue.

Cheers!

Vish

Cochin
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kerala advice

Hi Hebburnmag,

Answering the first questions - the beaches near Cochin are Fort Cochin, Cherai and Marari.

There are various beach resort options available at all the above places, which you may select out of the Trip Advisor Hotel review section.

A few samples are here,

Fort Cochin: Taj Malabar, Poovath Heritage, Old Light House Bristow, Old Harbor etc

Cherai beach: Cherai Beach Resort, Blue Waters etc

Marari beach: Marari Beach Resort, Abad Turtle Beach Resort

Regards,

Team tennderGreens Holidays

Kasaragod, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kerala advice

Dear Ian,

Please visit http://www.seriindia for a visit in north Kerala. In north Kerala is between Cochin (Kochi) and Goa. It is near Mangalore. Visit Shri Nithyananda Yogashrama for free hospitatlity and meditation experience.

1. Kochi you can get good restaurants food and drinks.

2. It will take 16 hours from Cochin to Margao.

3. November is the start of winter in India. But in Goa it is between 23 to 30 degree Celcius.

4. You can get one glass of wine for any good bar and restaurants in Kerala. It isnot restricted, except alcohol like wisky and other hot drinks.

Kerala is the land for searching the soul and get the experince of Yoga, Ayurveda and Meditation. Stop at Uppala Rly Station for Shri Nithyananda Yogashrama.

Thanks,

Raj,

seiraj(at)gmail(dot)com

Kasaragod, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kerala advice

www(dot)seriindia(dot)org this is correct one!

Kochi
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kerala advice

Cherai Beach is the closest one to Kochi Airport.

Take a look at the website of Cherai Beach Resort, which I think would be the best place to stay near Cherai Beach.

Cheers,

Rakesh

Newcastle
Level Contributor
307 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kerala advice

thank you everybody for your helpful advice

ian

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kerala advice

Hi Ian

We travelled aroung Kerala for a month in 2009 and would suggest That if you are able to break your journey to Goa - visiting Kannur, as a great beach resort. It's not like the beaches in Goa - but is a lot quieter and more rural.

Take some time, if you are interested and read my LONG trip report with a link to photos

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k273…

Graham

cochin
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kerala advice

HI Hebs,

If you plan to explore Kerala, make your base at Fortcochin and go futher to your next destination....

I f your looking for beach resort, north of kerala would be ideal for you

From cochin to goa its 16 hrs journey by train

November would be very pleasant out here.

1st of every month all the Bars in Kerala for alcohol ,would be closed...(November 1st, april 1st so on.... )

Hope this helps....

cheers

shile

Edited: 19 February 2011, 13:16
9. Re: Kerala advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2012, 18:16