We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on 6n/7d trip

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
advice on 6n/7d trip

hi

i am planning to visit kerala with my wife in early december for 6n/7d.. we are looking to cover munnar, backwaters & trivandrum.. have booked the flights but not done the accomodation yet.. appreciate if people can share their advice on the below rough outline of the trip..

day 1: early morning flight from mumbai to kochin, reach munnar by afternoon and rest for the remaining day

day 2 & 3: sight-seeing in munnar

day 4: leave munnar in the early morning and reach kumarakom by afternoon, overnight stay at some beach resort

day 5: reach allepey, overnight stay/cruise in houseboat

day 6: reach trivandrum by afternoon, roam around & visit the beaches

day 7: leave for mumbai by afternoon flight

i guess the initial part doesn't need much thought since i think 2 full days in munnar are needed at the least.. but i am confused about the backwaters part.. shall we do (a) resort at kumarakom & houseboat at allepey (as outlined above) or (b) resort at allepey & houseboat at kumarakom ?? travelling by road from munnar i don't think we will be able to reach either kumarakom or allepey by noon, which seems to be the check-in time for most houseboats, so i think we need to stay at beach resort for the first night and then can do houseboat the next night.. please advise on how to plan the backwaters stay.. also what's the best way of travelling between kumarakom & allepey, by road or boat ?? finally just 1 day in trivandrum might not be sufficient but i guess if we increase stay there then we would have to cut down on the backwaters which is not what we were preferring..

any feedback will be much appreciated..

thanks

himanshu

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
335 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on 6n/7d trip

One option for you is you can stay in Cochin for day 4. Munnar - Cochin is around 3-4hrs, and you can visit Cherai Beach/Fort Kochi/Synagogue etc etc in Cochin.

Otherwise, you can start from Munnar, and travel to Allepey and stay overnight in Allepey beach resorts.

Kumarakom is famous for back waters, but I am not aware of any sand beaches there.

If you are staying in Allepey/Cochin, you can take house boat from Allepey to Kumarakom for day 5 night. Cochin to Allepey is 1 - 1.5hrs.

As you know, 1 day in Trivandrum is short, but you can take a trip to Kovalam beach. The architecture of Padmanabha Swamy temple is also interesting.

Cochin
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on 6n/7d trip

Dear Himanshu

You can cover Munnar with 02 Nights and then we can move to Kumarakom for a Resort .Almost all the good resorts are in Kumarakom and more Houseboats are in Alleppey.

Day 01&Day 02: Munnar

Day 03: Kumarakom Resort

Day 04: Alleppey Houseboat

Day 05: Kovalam

Day 06: Kovalam –Trivandrum -Kovalam

Day 07: Trivandrum Departure

Jaipur, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on 6n/7d trip

hi..

@mahimd: sorry i meant to say some resort adjacent to the sea at kumarakom

@travelcochin: we will reach munnar in the afternoon, then take lunch etc after checking in the hotel, think we will be tired by then after the air & road journeys, so thought would need next 2 full days to cover munnar..

as for the last day, might take hotel in kovalam near the beach only.. and from there can visit trivandrum during the day.. airport also doesn't too far..

so seems best option is reach kumarakom from munnar via road on day 4 and stay at resort.. then on day 5 reach allepey and do overnight cruise on houseboat.. on day 6, reach kovalam/trivandrum via road..

i guess travelling from kumarakom to allepey by road will take around 1hr ?? kindly advise..

also any suggestions for accomodation at munnar, kumarakom & allepey will be most welcome..

thanks

himanshu

Cochin
Level Contributor
371 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on 6n/7d trip

Kumarakom to Alleppey will take 1.5- 02 Hrs drive !!

Resorts at Munnar :Tea County ,Blackberry Hills ,Clouds Valley ,Tall Trees

Kumarakom : Lemon Tree Resort ,Waterscapes,

5. Re: advice on 6n/7d trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 04:18