We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

houseboat

Brussels, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
houseboat

Is there a difference in the tour with a houseboat starting in Alappuzha or in Kumarakom? I would like to see the canals instead of a big lake

Iris Holidays
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Carnival Tours & Travels
Boat Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Green Hope Tourism
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Just Taxi Holidays
Multi-day Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours
Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: houseboat

Do the Alleppey - Alleppey cruise then, check-in from Alleppey and check-out at Alleppey

Brussels, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: houseboat

Thank you Neenu-Rai.

I will be there in the beginning of August, coming from Madurai. Do you advise me to go to Munnar from there or to Thekkady, or both? Then we are intending to go on a houseboat. What do you think?

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: houseboat

You can travel via Munnar or Periyar or both.

Thekkay (periyar) is good for spice plantations. Maduari - Munnar is an interesting road to travel. (I would choose Madurai - Munnar - Periyar (1 night only) - Alleppey.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: houseboat

Coming from Madurai , Thekkady would be the first destination inside Kerala .Then you could do Munnar and then to the backwaters

you havent mentioned whether you are doing this tour by a CAB or intending to use public transport ?

ideally you could spend 2 nights each at these destinations

incase you have a CAB and enough days , then you could do Thekkady- 3 &1/2 hours to Munnar- 4 & 1/2 to 5 hours to the Houseboat , where as if you are doing it by public transport better do Madurai- Thekkady and Houseboat

5. Re: houseboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 July 2012, 14:06
Brussels, Belgium
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: houseboat

We haven't decided yet how to travel this part. What is the best way to get a driver? Via an organisation or via a hotel? What are the avarage costs for a driver?

We have to leave from Delhi Monday night the 13th of August.

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: houseboat

I wouldnt suggest hiring CAB seperatly at each place through a hotel, as you would spend more compared to hiring a vehicle and a good driver for the entire trip

if you have time , you could do a bit of research and select your places for stay. This is offseason and you are sure to find places of your budget and good discounts.mail them for rates and this might takes 5-6 days for you to finalise, on which places to choose , and then you can book a CAB with an English speaking driver from any of the agents recommended here

now if you don't have time leave it to an agent , he will coordinate it for you

there are many recommended on this forum

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: houseboat

11 August , is the Nehru Trophy snake boat race at Alleppey.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g608471-i12586-k54…

so i think that would be the dates you will be around here for the houseboats

it should be bit busy time here in the backwaters for houseboats and higher rates !!

for a more comfortable journey choose a bigger vehicle Toyota Innova costing approx INR 1500/ day for 100kms and extra extra kilometer @ INR 15 per running kilometer .

Total Kilometer is calculated from your starting point and back , i assume you would cover approx 1000kms from Madurai covering thekkady, Munnar , Alleppey , Cochin airport back to Madurai

Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: houseboat

hi,

Don't miss the Nehru Trophy Snake boat race held in 11th August 2012.

Thanks,

Binu Joseph, Kerala Canoe Tourism , Alappuzha

10. Re: houseboat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2013, 10:15