We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat questions

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Houseboat questions

We (couple) are travelling to Kerala in march and were planning an overnight houseboat (not booked yet). I am now starting to wonder whether just to do a day trip. We are a you g active couple and I am worried we might get a bit bored and I know the boats just dock overnight anyway.

Also do you get the houseboat to yourself? How many rooms do they have? A friend had mentioned she might like to join us and I'm wondering how easy it would be to add her to our booking for an overnight trip and would there be a bedroom onboard for her? Or would a day trip make it easier?

What time do the day trips travel from/to? And do they go kumarakom to Allepey or dept/arrive same place?

Many thanks in advance.

chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras)
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Houseboat questions

Hi

There are single/double/trible and four bed room houseboat available you can choose as per you preference

Normally the trip starts at noon and ends 9 am next day Dept/arr same place

As you mentioned boats just dock overnight you can go for day cruise also

regards,

Alen_10

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
176 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Houseboat questions

I would do an overnight it is really lovely, waking up on the boat and having a cup of tea and a lovely breakfast cooked for you is one of the best experiences we had in Kerala. Also at dusk seeing all the birds going to roost and the large fruit bats flying over, listen to the sounds of the wildlife amazing. Have an air con boat though as keeps the mozzies away!

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
958 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Houseboat questions

Jo - You will get houseboat to yourself and you can opt for a single room or double room houseboat if your friend is travelling as well.

Day trips start at 10:30 - 11:00 and goes through the same route as overnight houseboats. Actually it may work out cheaper if you stay overnight in houseboat , the charges will be less than day cruise + overnight resort stay

Hope this helps

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Houseboat questions

"I am worried we might get a bit bored..."

The question is do you like water and boat. If not. you may get bored.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala.

Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Houseboat questions

Thanks everyone. I think we will do the overnight. I wondered if it would be possible for my friend to do the trip with us during the day but then drop her in Allepey for resort stay overnight and then we could meet her next morning. Would this be possible?

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Houseboat questions

yes, It would ne possible to include your friend in te trip and drop her at Alleppey for the resort.

It is also possible to have a houseboat with 2 bedrooms.

Suresh P R, Palmland Tours, Kerala

7. Re: Houseboat questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 September 2012, 11:34
Aberdeen, UK
Level Contributor
256 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Houseboat questions

Thankyou. Is there any difference kumarakom-Allepey or Allepey to kumarakom direction or the same ? Or is Allepey round trip better?

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Houseboat questions

Alleppey round trip is better

10. Re: Houseboat questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 10:18